- Ted Swartz’s newest play “Learning To Play”, is coming to Court Square Theater June 6 & 7 at 7:30pm. It’s a play about church, fatherhood, community, and our sexuality. And it’s an entertaining and enlightening piece about listening and love. Tickets available online at (www.valleyarts.org/court-square-theater/ <http://www.valleyarts.org/court-square-theater/> ) Advance price: $14/$12 seniors, students, groups 10+ At the door for $2 more. More information at: tedandcompany.com/events/ <http://tedandcompany.com/events/>
Women and Wealth a free seminar focusing on women’s financial success, June 11, 9-11 a.m. at VMRC, Detwiler Auditorium. Speaker: Alysia Davis, financial advisor with Morgan Stanley Wealth Management, Harrisonburg. Ms. Davis specializes in financial matters pertaining to women. Topics include: planning for your financial future, financial goal setting, investment risk, formulating a financial strategy, and financial plans and resources. All are welcome, register with the VMRC Foundation office, 540-437-4306, or email Janice Rhodes at email@example.com.
- Join Mennonite Central Committee for storytelling and a light meal of traditional foods from Lesotho at Harrisonburg Mennonite Church (Picnic Pavilion) on Friday, June 13 at 6:30pm. We will hear stories from MCC Lesotho alumni Harlan and Claire DeBrun, and MCC partner MmeMadintle. To RSVP and for more information, please contact Luke Schrock-Hurst at 540-437-1201 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our Community Place is hosting Second Saturday Night Out on June 14! Support OCP while enjoying a delectable four-course meal! Come and enjoy a festive, restful atmosphere alongside some wonderful cuisine. This month’s Guest Chef is XENIA, A Kabob Grille. $20 suggested donation, call 540.638.0329 <http://540.638.0329/> to make a reservation between 5pm and 8pm.
- Summer Institute for Spiritual Formation – Join us June 16-27, 2014 for the Summer Institute for Spiritual Formation at EMS. Take 1, 2, or 3 credit hours or audits in courses to deepen your own faith and teach you how to guide others. The Oasis option lets you dip in and out of classes and design your own mini-retreat experience. Open to all church leaders and growing Christians. www.emu.edu/seminary/courses/summer-institute/courses <http://www.emu.edu/seminary/courses/summer-institute/courses>
- Highland Retreat’s annual Steak BBQ and summer staff commissioning service will be held at Highland the afternoon and evening of Saturday, June 21. To reserve a free campsite or A-frame cottage (BBQ participants only) for the weekend, contact the office at email@example.com or (540) 705-0554. Visit www.highlandretreat.org <http://www.highlandretreat.org> for more details.
- Anabaptist Renewal Circles invites you to the National Conference 2014, July 10-12 at Weaverland Mennonite Church, 210 Weaverland Valley Rd, East Earl, Pa. Aaron Kauffman, VMM president, and Skip Tobin, VMM USA Ministries Director, will be leading workshops at the event. Anabaptist Renewal Circles has a vision to mobilize the Mennonite and Anabaptist community to bear witness to the transforming grace of Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. Register by June 1 at www.anabaptistrenewal.org <http://www.anabaptistrenewal.org> for a special rate of $40/person
- Motorcycle for Missions 2014 invites bikers to join the ride to Conference Assembly in Charlottesville, July 23-24. Join the ride in Waynesboro, Roanoke, Greensboro or Raleigh. Enjoy scenic vistas through the byways of the southern Shenandoah Valley and Piedmont regions. Meet other riders who want to ride for a cause, and help raise funds for Virginia Mennonite Missions, which works around the world in development, education, peacebuilding and building faith communities. There will be a welcome in Charlottesville at Assembly. Tim Kennell, tour coordinator, is an avid motorcyclist and pastor of Powhatan Mennonite Church. We hope that your congregation will be represented on this fun ride! If you are not able to ride, please support financially the riders in your church who are participating. For more information, contact Tim Kennell at firstname.lastname@example.org or at cell # (804) 240-5657. Find out more and register at vmmissions.org/support/motorcycle-for-missions <http://vmmissions.org/support/motorcycle-for-missions>
- Registration is now open for Virginia Mennonite Conference Assembly 2014! Mark your calendar for July 24-26, and go to www.virginiaconference.org/assembly <http://www.virginiaconference.org/assembly> for complete details and online registration. Our worship, work, and reflection will be guided by Jesus’ Great Commission, on the theme of Making Disciples As We Go!
- Save the date for “End-of-life training.“ Join a workshop to learn how to lead groups through important end-of-life discussions at Laurelville Mennonite Church Center, Mt. Pleasant, Pa., August 12-14. For more information, visit laurelville.org/programs/end-of-life-education/
Virginia Mennonite Missions Prayer News
June 8 – Pray for those affected by the flooding in Bosnia and Serbia. Pray for VMM workers Steve, Laura, Esther and Ruth Campbell and their friends who are dealing with the impact and damage of these waters.
Mennonite Church USA Prayer News
June 8 – Resources from Women Doing Theology Conference – Whether or not you were able to attend the recent “All You Need is Love” conference in Leesburg, Va., you will want to check out the videos, paper presentations, pictures and more from this inspiring weekend. http://www.mennoniteusa.org/publications/on-the-way/all-you-need-is-love/