- Beldor Mennonite Church will host an evening of bluegrass gospel music featuring the Raymond Stepp group this Sunday, August 3, 2014, at 7 p.m. A snack will follow. We hope you can join us.
- Love to ride in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley? Save the date for Saturday, September 20, and join the 17th annual Bike Shenandoah. Choose one of five rides for all ages and abilities, and support the work of seven local and regional agencies! Learn more and register at bikeshenandoah.org <http://www.bikeshenandoah.org/> .
- Effective August 1, MennoMedia will no longer be selling books from their business office at 1251 Virginia Avenue. The EMU Bookstore, Christian Light Publications, Artisans Hope, Blessings Christian Bookstore and Choice Books are all local venues where customers may find Herald Press Books for sale. For curriculum sales, please call 800-245-7894. MennoMedia appreciates your business and encourages you to support local retailers.
- Looking for missional church resourcing with an Anabaptist perspective? Join us for the “Church and Post-Christian Culture” Conference, Sept. 19-20, in Carlisle, Pa., at Carlisle Brethren in Christ Church. Speakers include Anton Flores, Greg Boyd and Nelson Okanya. Jesus, community and mission are the broad themes for plenaries and breakouts. Mennonite Church USA is a partnering denomination. Contact Skip Tobin for details regarding travel and hotel details at email@example.com or (540) 434-9727 • (800) 707-5535. Learn more and register at missioalliance.org/event/church-after-christendom-christian-witness-in-the-way-of-jesus/ <http://www.missioalliance.org/event/church-after-christendom-christian-witness-in-the-way-of-jesus/>
- Cherith Fee Nordling will give four presentations in Harrisonburg on the theme “Being Human, Becoming Christian: an embodied reconciliation of heaven and earth,” September 15-17. Is our embodied humanity a temporary curse or permanent, glorious reality? Does salvation seem to imply getting out of our bodies, or is it about finally being at home in our bodies and getting to be truly human forever? Too often, Christians are deeply ambivalent, or silent, about our embodied lives and whether they really matter in the end. Ironically, if we take Jesus’ humanity seriously, then we will begin to see that “in the end” God’s gift and goal is to give us our truly human, truly sexual, truly Christian lives back, then and now! The four events are: a public presentation on Monday, Sept. 15, Park View Mennonite Church, 7:00 pm, a Pastors’ Breakfast:* Tuesday, Sept. 16, Fireplace Room at Park View Mennonite Church, 7:30 am (*RSVP to Sarah Showalter at firstname.lastname@example.org or (540) 434-9727 by Sept. 11 if you plan to attend.), a Seminary Chapel: Tuesday, Sept. 16, Eastern Mennonite Seminary, 11:00 am, and an EMU Undergraduate Chapel: Wednesday, Sept. 17, Lehman Auditorium, 10:00 am. Cherith Fee Nordling is Associate Professor of Theology at Northern Seminary in Lombard, IL.
- Aging With Grace – Equipping Churches for Senior Ministry in the Age of the Baby Boomer” is an ecumenical, non-denominational Ministry event for Pastors, Chaplains and Church Lay Leaders. This Event will cover Medical, Spiritual, Financial and Aging-related issues – for the broadest possible attraction to Church leaders. The wide-open Religious spectrum represented by the Virginia Council of Churches attracts a diverse Spiritual audience. This one-day event will bring together over 200 Church Leaders from all over Central Virginia with one overall purpose; Equip Churches to better serve the Senior population of their church membership. Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 9 am -2 pm at Glen Allen Cultural Arts Center, Glen Allen, VA. For more information and register at http://www.vacouncilofchurches.org/
- The Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale will be October 3-4 at the Rockingham County Fairgrounds, Harrisonburg. The relief sales offers a little bit of everything—quilts, artwork, homemade food, antiques, crafts, music and activities for the whole family. We hope you’ll join us! Proceeds go to the work of Mennonite Central Committee. Keep collecting for Penny Power and consider matching your church’s total! Learn more at vareliefsale.com <http://www.vareliefsale.com/> and vmmissions.org/support/penny-power/ <http://vmmissions.org/support/penny-power/>
- Want to use your hands and skills for Christian ministry? Laurelville Mennonite Church Center is looking for someone to join the maintenance team and contribute to the ministry by participating in the maintenance, renovation, construction, and grounds work on our camp and retreat center in the beautiful Laurel Highlands of Western PA. This is a full-time position with benefits and housing available. Contact Gene Hartzler, Director of Maintenance, with your resume at email@example.com call with inquiries at 724-423-2056 <tel:724-423-2056>.
- MennoMedia seeks Part-time Administrative Assistant We’re a book and curriculum publisher seeking a friendly, competent part-time administrative assistant for a wide variety of office support services. Tasks include clerical and financial tasks, volunteer management and assisting visitors. We need someone with good people skills and at least two years of experience with Word, Excel and databases, who is eager and willing to learn new tasks and software programs. This job has great growth potential for the right person. 20 hours per week, hours are somewhat flexible. Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for Lab Coordinator in the Department of Biology/Chemistry. Primary responsibilities of the lab manager are to oversee technical work in the science laboratories, primarily related to class-associated laboratory activities. Activities include setup and cleanup of class exercises, equipment maintenance, and keeping supplies well stocked, and other laboratory curricular needs. The laboratory manager recruits, trains and supervises work-study students. Previous experience in biology, biochemistry, and chemistry laboratories, including equipment operation, basic maintenance and preparation of regents desired. Previous safety knowledge and/or experience including knowledge and use of material safety data sheets and working with potentially hazardous materials ideal. Bachelor’s degree in a field of science required. Position is ? time with benefits. Submit application, resume and contract information for three references to: email@example.com. For more information visit our website at www.emu.edu/humanresources <http://www.emu.edu/humanresources> . Persons who bring diversity are encouraged to apply. EOE.
- Everence Financial is seeking a loan and business development officer for the credit union in their Harrisonburg, Virginia, office. Responsible for developing and growing the membership, assets and loan portfolio of the Harrisonburg office; branch manager duties. Qualified applicants will have a bachelor’s degree and at least one year of lending experience; excellent communication skills; strong analytical and financial skills. Fluency in Spanish is desired. For more information about the responsibilities and qualifications of this position, please visit our website, www.everence.com <http://www.everence.com>, and click on ‘Careers.’
- Eastern Mennonite School has the following coaching openings open for the upcoming school year: Girls 7th Grade Volleyball; 7th Grade Girls Basketball; Girls Varsity Soccer Boys JV Tennis. Please contact Dave Bechler at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at (540) 476-2637 <tel:%28540%29%20476-2637> if you have interest or know of persons interested.
Office Space for Rent
MennoMedia (1251 Virginia Avenue in Harrisonburg) has office/retail space for rent with closets, internet, all utilities and access to rest rooms, kitchen and parking included in price. 175 sq ft office for $225/month (two available); 225 sq ft office for $240/month (two available); Potential small retail space with three adjoining offices also available: price negotiable. Call 540-574-4877 or email email@example.com.
Virginia Mennonite Missions Prayer Request:
Remember the newly commissioned tranSend workers. Pray for them as they say goodbye to their families and prepare to enter a new culture. Pray for a warm welcome and a sense of God’s presence with them in their new communities.