Principal function of this position
The Church Administrator carries out the greater ministry of Community Mennonite Church through interaction with the public, congregation, pastors, and Church Council. The position includes professional administrative duties, managing daily operations of the church office, providing administrative support to the Pastoral Team and Church Council, notifying the custodial staff of building needs, and communication with the church community. This is a part-time (30 hours/week) position with benefits.
- Administrative, supervisory, leadership, and communication skills, and the ability to manage competing priorities and short- and long-term projects
- Good writing/editing/proofreading skills, including experience creating and modifying various forms of electronic and written media. Experience and proficiency in computer skills.
- Public relations skills for face-to-face, phone, and electronic communication
- Ability to perform with initiative and confidence, maintain confidentiality, and make decisions while balancing the need to involve pastoral staff and Church Council in decisions as required. Must possess a personal conviction of calling to church ministry.
- College degree in communications or a related field or substantial relevant background
- References from previous supervisors
- Knowledge of and experience with various electronic and written media
- Passing criminal, financial, and sexual misconduct background checks
- Active Christian faith and experience in a Mennonite setting
- Preference given to applicants with fluency in both English and Spanish
Summary of Responsibilities
- Direct weekday operation of the church office
- Property and building administration
- Serve as purchasing agent for the church (office & custodial supplies) and work with church finance administrator to manage accounts
- Inventory and maintain church office equipment
- Maintain church records, master calendar, and coordinate building use in two facilities
- Serve as consultant for single-use and longer-term renters of the facilities
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Pastors
- Serve as staff associate for Church Council
- Design, produce and distribute church communication and promotional pieces, both print and electronic
- Update the church website
- Personal, phone, and email communication with church members, other community members, and parties using the church building