Community Mennonite Church is hiring a church administrator. Office and building administration, church communication duties, and pastoral and church council support, requiring computer skills, writing and proofreading, office management, initiative, and the call to sustain the ministry of the church through interaction with the public, congregation, and pastors. 30 hours per week, competitive salary with benefits including health insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, and retirement contributions. See below for more information and application instructions.
Applications will close on April 5, with the job to start around April 24. Questions? Email Jeremy Nafziger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Principal Function of this position:
The Church Administrator carries out the greater ministry of Community Mennonite Church through interaction with the public, congregation, pastors, and Church Council. The position includes professional administrative duties, managing daily operations of the church office, providing administrative support to the Pastoral Team and Church Council, notifying the custodial staff of building needs, and communication with the church community. This is a part-time (30 hours/week) position with benefits. It will begin on or about April 24, 2019.
- Administrative, supervisory, leadership, and communication skills, and the ability to manage competing priorities and short- and long-term projects
- Good writing/editing/proofreading skills, including experience creating and modifying various forms of electronic and written media. Experience and proficiency in computer skills.
- Public relations skills for face-to-face, phone, and electronic communication
- Ability to perform with initiative and confidence, maintain confidentiality, and make decisions while balancing the need to involve pastoral staff and Church Council in decisions as required. Must possess a personal conviction of calling to church ministry.
- College degree in communications or a related field or substantial relevant background
- References from previous supervisors
- Knowledge of and experience with various electronic and written media
- Passing criminal, financial, and sexual misconduct background checks
- Active Christian faith and experience in a Mennonite setting
- Preference given to applicants with fluency in both English and Spanish
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Direct weekday operation of the church office
- Property and building administration
- Serve as purchasing agent for the church (office & custodial supplies) and work with church finance administrator to manage accounts
- Inventory and maintain church equipment
- Maintain church records, master calendar, and coordinate building use in two facilities
- Serve as consultant for single-use and longer term renters of the facilities
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Lead Pastor
- Serve as staff associate for Church Council
- Design, produce and distribute church communication and promotional pieces, both print and electronic
- Update the church website
- Personal, phone, and email communication with church members, other community members, and parties using the church building
Applicants: Interested persons can apply by submitting a résumé with references. Include information that speaks to the above requirements. Hard copy documents can be mailed to or dropped off for Chair of Personnel Committee:
Jeremy Nafziger, Community Mennonite Church, 70 S. High Street, Harrisonburg, VA, 22801.
Or you can email your information to Jeremy Nafziger at: email@example.com.