- Women Doing Theology Conference to be held in February 20-22, 2014. Mennonite Church USA and several of co-sponsors invite Mennonite women from across the country to come together in Leesburg, Virginia (near Washington D.C.) February 20-22, 2014 for a conference, titled “All you need is love: Honoring diversity in women’s voices in theology.” In a spirit of grace, participants will together contemplate what it means to love as Christians in the midst of a world rife with struggle and oppression. The gathering will include time for theological work in several creative forms. It will provide space that encourages strong relationships between women in the church and honors various vocations from which theological work is done: academic, pastoral, community organizing, etc. Women’s unique voices and perspectives will be explored. Capable hearts and minds will together contemplate the gifts and challenges that diversity presents to the church and how we might engage these while remaining committed to one another in love. Ideas and relationships that will be important to the future of the church will be shared and nurtured. Space will be offered for worship, storytelling, theological reflection. For more information and to register: http://www.mennoniteusa.org/executive-board/women-in-leadership-project/womens-conference-all-you-need-is-love/
- Make sense of your Medicare choices
“Retiring Soon? An introduction to Medicare” will be presented at the Everence Financial office in Harrisonburg the first Tuesday of each month from January through June (6 – 7 p.m.). Representatives from Everence will speak on Medicare, provide instructions on how to enroll, explain how continuing to work affects your benefits, and answer related questions. For more information contact Derek Blyer at (540) 437-7422 or firstname.lastname@example.org. RSVPs are requested but not required.
- Virginia Mennonite Conference seeks a full-time Administrative Services Manager. This position will assist the Executive Conference Minister in variety of tasks as requested, serve as VMC events coordinator, manage documents and files, and other tasks as needed. Qualifications include good relational skills, managerial and leadership skills that include a focus on detail and accuracy. Position includes salary and benefits commensurate with experience. Possible start date: May 1. Submit resume by Feb. 21. Position description and contact information at virginiaconference.org/jobopenings/
- NewBridges Immigrant Resource Center is hiring a Case Manager and Special Events Coordinator. More details are available at http://www.newbridgesirc.org/job-opening/. You may also send questions to email@example.com.
- Our Community Place (OCP) has two open volunteer positions: Morning hospitality early opener (Monday and Wednesday mornings 7-8:45am – opening building with 2 or 3 OCP members and setting up light breakfast, starting fire, and opening doors for hospitality at 7:30.) and Front desk “concierge” position (Monday 8:30am – 2:00pm or Thursday 2:45 – 8:00pm.) Will be trained by Ron with four other volunteers. Six-month commitment preferred.
- Do you have an interest in reaching out to Harrisonburg’s homeless? OCP is seeking individual as well as group volunteers to welcome and greet our homeless friends 7am – 9am during the months of November through April 1. This will allow the community center to be available earlier to those without shelter during these cold months. As a Greeter you will arrive by 7am, lay out a light breakfast with coffee, and open the doors by 7:30am for community members. We are asking for a commitment of at least one morning a week, Monday – Wednesday, until April. Your time will be greatly appreciated.
- Volunteer drivers are needed to deliver Meals on Wheels to seniors in the Harrisonburg area. Time of delivery is 10:00-11:30 am from the Price Rotary Senior Center, 305 Dogwood Drive, Harrisonburg. If interested, please call: Dawn Shull, Valley Program for Aging Services volunteer coordinator, at 540-383-6855.
Upcoming Virginia Mennonite Conference Retreats:
February 28-March 2, 2014
Williamsburg Christian Retreat Center
Speaker: Mary Thiessen Nation
We who are in ministry often care for ones whose lives and assumptions are shattered by traumatic experiences. This weekend retreat on “Trauma, Hope and Healing” will help us not trivialize the painful wrestling of those involved in trauma but respond rightly with an honest, textured theology and authentic, robust hope. Plus, the peaceful setting and relaxed schedule offers us times of restoration and conversation with peers! Registration deadline: February 7.
VMM Prayer News
Mennonite Mission Network’s Service Adventure unit leaders will conclude a four-day meeting in New Orleans tomorrow. Pray for physical and spiritual renewal as they share their joys and challenges and encourage each other for continued ministry.