- Lindale Mennonite Church invites you to a 5th Sunday evening of worship lead by the Lindale worship team this Sunday (March 29) at 6:30 pm. The church is located at 6255 Jesse Bennett Way, Linville, Va.
- Have you heard Pastor Max Villatoro's story of detention and deportation? Come join in a community vigil this Monday March 30, from 9:00pm to 10:00pm on Thomas Plaza at Eastern Mennonite University. This will be a time of togetherness: hearing narratives, education on immigration reform, hopeful prayer, and solidarity in silence. We can be light in the darkness.
- A community Easter Vigil, planned by the Park View and Community Mennonite churches, will be held Saturday night April 4 at Park View Mennonite Church from 10 p.m. until just past midnight. All are invited to celebrate the arrival of Easter morning with the traditional Service of Light, Service of the Word, Service of Water, and Service of the Bread and Cup. This is a service appropriate for all ages, using all of our senses in the worship of God. Call 434-1604 or 433-2148 for more info.
- CrossRoads' Easter Sunrise Service will be held on our hilltop at 6:45 a.m. Easter Sunday, April 5, with LaDawn Knicely of Beaver Creek Church of the Brethren bringing the message. Phil Kanagy of Weavers Mennonite Church will serve as worship leader. Dress warmly and bring a lawn chair. An offering will be taken to benefit the ministry of the Heritage Center. If rain, the service will be held at Weavers Mennonite Church. If your church does not have a Sunrise Service, please join us on the hilltop at CrossRoads to worship as the sun rises from behind Massanutten Peak!
- Join us for an inspirational evening of song as Patrick Ressler performs at the piano his specially arranged and reinterpreted hymns from the Mennonite Church's Hymnal: A Worship Book. Justin Yoder will accompany on cello. The free concert will feature songs from Patrick's recently released album Stand By Me: Hymns of Hope and Healing, including favorites like "Abide with me," "My life flows on" and "O healing river." Folks gathered will also be invited to lift their own voices in four-part song! Date: Saturday, April 11, 2015 Time: 7:30 pm Location: Park View Mennonite Church sanctuary, 1600 College Avenue, Harrisonburg. VA. Patrick Ressler is a performer, composer, and arranger who grew up in the Mennonite Church and graduated from Goshen College. He is well known and loved in the Mennonite community and beyond for his gift of music and his advocacy for LGBTQIAA inclusion.A free will offering will be taken to benefit Collins Center and Child Advocacy Center in Harrisonburg, VA. Concert is sponsored by Barbra Graber & Dale Metzler, Deanna Durham, and Steve Shenk
- Join us for the big summer camp fundraiser! Next Saturday, April 11, is the Highland Benefit Auction designed to subsidize summer camps tuition and provide camp scholarships for families in need. The auction will be held at Eastern Mennonite School dining room just off route 42.
- Doors open at 7:45 a.m. for the silent auction and the live auction begins at 8:45 a.m.
- Help fund scholarships by enjoying the sausage and pancake breakfast.
- Pork BBQ, homemade soup, hot dogs, and deserts available after 10:00 a.m.
- Fresh baked goods (pies, breads, donuts) will be sold as supplies last.
- Over 300 items and services will be auctioned including tickets to Disney World, oak fire wood, a vacation rental, quarter beef, rare coins, sports team collectibles, a picnic table, handcrafted comforters, wood workings, and much more.
The auction is a neat event for a great cause! Even if you can only stop by for breakfast or lunch, we'd love to see you there. Visit www.highlandretreat.org for details and to see the current auction list with photos.
- On Sunny Slope Farm, a renowned event venue located in the Shenandoah Valley, will host a fundraiser for MEDA—Mennonite Economic Development Associates. The event, which will be open to the public and take place on Friday April 17, from 5 – 10 p.m., will feature music, beer and wine tastings, door prizes and food trucks. Proceeds from the festival will support women farmers and entrepreneurs in Ghana through MEDA's "Bike to GROW" volunteer initiative. Ticket options for the event range from $15-$30 and are available at onsunnyslopefarm.com/events. Tickets include a meal and a raffle ticket. Alcoholic beverage tickets are optional.
- The Shenandoah Valley Choral Society, under the direction of Curtis Nolley, will present its annual spring concert, a Musical Garden, on Friday, April 17th, at 7:30 p.m., and Sunday, April 19th, at 3:00pm at Bridgewater Church of the Brethren. The concert will feature Gabriel Fauré's beautiful and moving Requiem. The ensemble will finish the program with a selection of director's concert favorites chosen from the past 15 seasons. Tickets are available from Choral Society members, Red Front Supermarket (Harrisonburg), Bridgewater Foods Supermarket (Bridgewater), on-line at www.singshenandoah.org, and at the door. Admission is $15 for adults/$12 for seniors and students. Members of the Choral Society from Park View Mennonite Church are Judy Bomberger, Ervie Glick, Lois Martin, Mamie Mellinger, and Jay Landis.
- Mennonite Women of Virginia's Annual Missions Day will be May 2 at Trissels Mennonite Church, Broadway, Va. Eve Knepp will reflect on the importance of trusting God, as experienced through her family's ministry with VMMissions at Maranatha School for the Deaf, Jamaica. Registration begins at 9 am. A business meeting will follow the Mission Needs Auction, and lunch will be served.
- All leaders holding ministerial credentials in VMC are invited to: "God's Gift of Sexuality": a Pastoral Leadership Consultation on May 15, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Mountain View Mennonite Church, 5252 North Carolina 10 Hickory, NC 28602. Transportation arrangements to and from the Harrisonburg area are in the works. Speakers are still to be decided. RSVP to Anieta McCracken, Administrative Services Manager, at 540-434-9727 ext 135 or via email to: email@example.com
- Come out to Pleasant View, Inc.'s 18th Annual Golf Tournament to support individuals with intellectual disabilities on Friday, May 15, at Spotswood Country Club (1980 Country Club Road in Harrisonburg, Va.) This will be in a Captain's Choice format. Registration will begin at 8:00 am, with a shotgun start at 9:00 am. Team prizes, contest prizes, and door prize drawings will be awarded after lunch. Fees are $100/golfer or $380/team of 4. There will be team prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Mulligans, power balls, and 50/50 will be offered at registration. We will also have closest to the pin and longest drive contests. Lunch will be provided.
- Family Life Resource Center's Funraising Dinner will be Saturday, May 16, at 6 pm at VMRC's Hartman Dining Hall. Judy H. Mullet, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology at Eastern Mennonite University will speak on the importance of restorative relationships. Special memorial tribute will be given to Jim Glanzer, one of the founders of FLRC. RSVP by May 7 to Marie@flrc.org or by calling 540-434-8450.
- Mennonite Women of Virginia is seeking executive board members willing to serve. Please contact MWV President Sylvia Yoder at firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating your interest in a position. Openings are for Treasurer, Vice President and Mission Needs Secretary.
- Bridge of Hope Harrisonburg-Rockingham (BoHHR) is accepting applications for a part-time (20 hours/week) Development & Special Events Coordinator. BoHHR is a faith based non-profit organization started locally in 2009 by a multi-denominational group of Christians and is a Bridge of Hope National affiliate; one of 23 in fourteen states and the only one in Virginia. The BoHHR model is built on a three-way partnership between one homeless or at-risk single mother and her children, one trained church-based mentoring group and the BoHHR professional staff. BoHHR moves beyond short-term fixes to provide long-term, sustainable solutions to families.The Development & Special Events Coordinator promotes giving to BoHHR by building major donor relationships and implementing successful events and sponsorship opportunities. For more information and to submit your resume, contact Melody Cash at email@example.com by March 31.
- Media for Living, publisher of Valley Livingmagazine, seeks to hire a sales representative. We offer an established client list. As part of the sales team, you will sell print and online advertising and be responsible for developing advertising leads. Must be self-motivated with a desire to meet or exceed sales goals. Experience in customer service, publishing and sales a plus. Flexible schedule – set your own hours and work from home. Position begins immediately. For more information, visit org. Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The John Kline Homestead, Broadway, Va., is seeking a gardener to tend the 19th century kitchen garden this year. Seeds, plants, tools, and water will be provided. Gardner keeps the produce. Call Paul Roth (540-421-5267) if interested.
Click to view the online VMC calendar.
Virginia Mennonite Missions Prayer Request:
Lift up the mission workers gathering for the Southeast Asia Anabaptist Retreat. Pray that their spirits may be refreshed and renewed as they worship, pray, and share with each other.