- Join us for the big summer camp fundraiser! This Saturday, April 11, is the Highland Benefit Auction designed to subsidize summer camps tuition and provide camp scholarships for families in need. The auction will be held at Eastern Mennonite School dining room just off route 42. Doors open at 7:45 a.m. for the silent auction and the live auction begins at 8:45 a.m. Help fund scholarships by enjoying the sausage and pancake breakfast. Pork BBQ, homemade soup, hot dogs, and deserts available after 10:00 a.m. Fresh baked goods (pies, breads, donuts) will be sold as supplies last. Over 300 items and services will be auctioned including tickets to Disney World, oak fire wood, a vacation rental, quarter beef, rare coins, sports team collectibles, a picnic table, handcrafted comforters, wood workings, and much more. The auction is a neat event for a great cause! Even if you can only stop by for breakfast or lunch, we'd love to see you there. Visit www.highlandretreat.org for details and to see the current auction list with photos.
- The Shenandoah Valley Children’s Choir, under the direction of Janet Hostetter and Joy Anderson, will present its annual spring concert, Day Break, this Sunday (April 12), at 4 p.m. in Lehman Auditorium. The Preparatory, Treble and Concert Choirs will present songs themed around light and beauty.Special guests include percussionists, Dr. Michael Overman and Paige Durr. Tickets are available through the Eastern Mennonite University box office and on-line. Admission is $15 for special reserved seating, $12 for adults, $10 for seniors/students and $7 for children age 12 & under.
- Dave Gullman, pastor at Pleasant View, Inc., will speak on People First: Negotiating the Interplay of Healthcare, Spirituality, and Disability, sharing ways healthcare providers and others can enrich their care of people with disabilities and their families at 7 pm on Thursday, April 16 at Park View Mennonite Church, All are welcome!
- The Shenandoah Valley Choral Society, under the direction of Curtis Nolley, will present its annual spring concert, a Musical Garden, on Friday, April 17, at 7:30 p.m., and Sunday, April 19th, at 3:00pm at Bridgewater Church of the Brethren. The concert will feature Gabriel Fauré's beautiful and moving Requiem. The ensemble will finish the program with a selection of director's concert favorites chosen from the past 15 seasons. Tickets are available from Choral Society members, Red Front Supermarket (Harrisonburg), Bridgewater Foods Supermarket (Bridgewater), on-line at www.singshenandoah.org, and at the door. Admission is $15 for adults/$12 for seniors and students. Members of the Choral Society from Park View Mennonite Church are Judy Bomberger, Ervie Glick, Lois Martin, Mamie Mellinger, and Jay Landis.
- Invitation to all comfort knotters: please mark your calendar April 23-24. Once again it is time to come together to knot comforters for MCC! The need is great as MCC responds to ongoing crisis is South Sudan. We have reserved the sewing room at Shady Oak (Weavers Mennonite Church) for two days, April 23 and 24 (Thursday/Friday), 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM. Please come and invite your friends. We will take a lunch break at 12:00, so bring a sandwich. Coffee and a cold drink provided. Looking forward to seeing you again, Louretta Wilson and Betty Brunk.
- The Mahatma Gandhi Center for Global Nonviolence Community Service Award, is to be bestowed this year to PAX of MCC on April 26. We hope you will plan to attend, bringing friends and family to celebrate this important part of your life’s experience. We are honored that the Mahatma Gandhi Center for Global Nonviolence at James Madison University should recognize PAX in this way. Your presence will contribute to that honor. Check the website, www.paxmcc.com, or Facebook PAX for any updates to plans and events. The meeting space and ceremony with take place in the Highlands Room which is located on the ground floor in the Festival Conference and Student Center at James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA. It is a large circular building, once inside please follow signs to the Highlands Room. (Parking in C10 and C12 on the JMU map,) access to parking from Reservoir Street or Carrier Drive. So that we know how many guests to prepare for, please let me know if you will attend. RSVP by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to seeing you here. (See attachment "PAXGandhi_Award" for more information.)
- Mennonite Mission Network Day of Prayer is May 1. Pray with us, pray for us, pray for our world! Help us celebrate Mennonite Mission Network’s Day of Prayer on May 1 and join us in prayer for the mission and ministry of each person, congregation, conference and Mennonite Mission Network. Visit www.MennoniteMission.net/DayOfPrayer for individual and congregational resources like: Prayer Vine, a monthly prayer calendar, a 24-hour prayer vigil sign-up sheet, and more!
- Mennonite Women of Virginia's Annual Missions Day will be May 2 at Trissels Mennonite Church, Broadway, Va. Eve Knepp will reflect on the importance of trusting God, as experienced through her family’s ministry with VMMissions at Maranatha School for the Deaf, Jamaica. Registration begins at 9 am. A business meeting will follow the Mission Needs Auction, and lunch will be served.
- All leaders holding ministerial credentials in VMC are invited to: “God’s Gift of Sexuality”: a Pastoral Leadership Consultation on May 15, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Mountain View Mennonite Church, 5252 North Carolina 10 Hickory, NC 28602. Transportation arrangements to and from the Harrisonburg area are in the works. Speakers are still to be decided. RSVP to Anieta McCracken, Administrative Services Manager, at 540-434-9727 ext 135 or via email to: email@example.com
- Come out to Pleasant View, Inc.'s 18th Annual Golf Tournament to support individuals with intellectual disabilities on Friday, May 15, at Spotswood Country Club (1980 Country Club Road in Harrisonburg, Va.) This will be in a Captain's Choice format. Registration will begin at 8:00 am, with a shotgun start at 9:00 am. Team prizes, contest prizes, and door prize drawings will be awarded after lunch. Fees are $100/golfer or $380/team of 4. There will be team prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Mulligans, power balls, and 50/50 will be offered at registration. We will also have closest to the pin and longest drive contests. Lunch will be provided.
- Family Life Resource Center’s Fundraising Dinner will be Saturday, May 16, at 6 pm at VMRC’s Hartman Dining Hall. Judy H. Mullet, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology at Eastern Mennonite University will speak on the importance of restorative relationships. Special memorial tribute will be given to Jim Glanzer, one of the founders of FLRC. RSVP by May 7 to Marie@flrc.org or by calling 540-434-8450.
- Save the date for the annual MHI Friends Dinner event, Friday, September 25, from 7-9pm at Park View Mennonite Church. This is MHI's main fundraiser event of the year and features a deliciously prepared Latino meal provided by Hispanic members of the different congregations related to MHI as wells as a bilingual worship experience.
Click to view the online VMC calendar.
Virginia Mennonite Missions
Praise God for Whitney Specht's dedication to learning language and culture in Kosova. Ask God to bless her learning so that she might be a blessing to others, especially the farmers she interacts with at the milk processing plant where she serves.