Newsweekly for May 18, 2014.
Local Events and Opportunities
- Join us for the musical "Noah's Flood," May 16 & 17 at 7:30 pm in the EMS Auditorium! Come hear the beloved Benjamin Britten opera, featuring the singing talents of the EMS Touring Choir, a children's choir of "animals" and YOU, the audience, through congregational singing in this hour-long family-friendly show! Join us for a musical experience like no other! Proceeds from this event will benefit the EMS Touring Choir trip to Albania, Bulgaria, Kosovo and Romania this summer. Tickets on sale NOW – $10 all ages, general admission in advance (at EMS front office or through a Touring Choir member) or at the door for $15, all ages, general admission. For more details contact EMS Drama Coordinator Alisha Huber at email@example.com.
- Good Company, the valley's newest 6-member a cappella group, will present their spring concert at Park View Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, on Sunday, May 18 at 3:00 p.m. Admission is by donation and a light reception will follow the concert. Thank you! Katie Derstine for Good Company.
- Family Life Resource Center invites you to our fundraising banquet, Hand in Hand: Partnering for Congregational Care, Saturday, May 17 at VMRC's Hartman Dining Hall, 6 pm. Learn about the exciting plans of FLRC's renewed desire to partner with congregations and the community for care, support, and counseling. Entertainment by a capella group, Good Company. RSVP to Marie at (540) 434-8450 or firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, May 8th.
- Join us for the Brunk Revival Exhibit Dedication on May 24, from 1 to 4 p.m. at The Valley Brethren-Mennonite Heritage Center. Enjoy reminiscing with the Brunk family, singing the old revival songs, viewing the exhibit and other memorabilia. Dr. Myron Augsburger will speak at the dedication service at 3 p.m. Call (540) 438-1275 or visit vbmhc.org for more information.
- Roberta Webb Child Care Center invites you to help celebrate 20 years in the community on May 30 at First Presbyterian Church. Dinner starts at 5:30 with music and a silent auction. Live auction with Sonny Henkel starts at 7pm.
- Summer Institute for Spiritual Formation – Join us June 16-27, 2014 for the Summer Institute for Spiritual Formation at EMS. Take 1, 2, or 3 credit hours or audits in courses to deepen your own faith and teach you how to guide others. The Oasis option lets you dip in and out of classes and design your own mini-retreat experience. Open to all church leaders and growing Christians. www.emu.edu/seminary/courses/summer-institute/courses <http://www.emu.edu/seminary/courses/summer-institute/courses>
- Anabaptist Renewal Circles invites you to the National Conference 2014, July 10-12 at Weaverland Mennonite Church, 210 Weaverland Valley Rd, East Earl, Pa. Aaron Kauffman, VMM president, and Skip Tobin, VMM USA Ministries Director, will be leading workshops at the event.Anabaptist Renewal Circles has a vision to mobilize the Mennonite and Anabaptist community to bear witness to the transforming grace of Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. Register by June 1 at www.anabaptistrenewal.org <http://www.anabaptistrenewal.org> for a special rate of $40/person
- Registration is now open for Virginia Mennonite Conference Assembly 2014! Mark your calendar for July 24-26, and go to www.virginiaconference.org/assembly <http://www.virginiaconference.org/assembly> for complete details and online registration. Our worship, work, and reflection will be guided by Jesus’ Great Commission, on the theme of Making Disciples As We Go! Save the date and plan now to attend!
- Save the date for End-of-life training. Join a workshop to learn how to lead groups through important end-of-life discussions at Laurelville Mennonite Church Center, Mt. Pleasant, Pa., August 12-14. For more information, visit laurelville.org/programs/end-of-life-education/
Virginia Mennonite Missions is in need of volunteer receptionists. Are you interested in supporting missions work? This might be the just the right opportunity for you! VMM is looking for persons who are willing to volunteer one morning or afternoon each week to sit at the front desk answering phones, greeting visitors, and assisting the administrative assistant with occasional office tasks. If you are interested in supporting the work of VMM by serving as a volunteer receptionist please contact Sarah N. Schoenhals at email@example.com or call (540) 434-9727.
OFFICE SUITE FOR RENT: A spacious two-office suite, partially furnished, with separate entrance, good parking, and good signage is available at 901 Parkwood Drive (office building of VMMissions and Virginia Mennonite Conference). All utilities, taxes and most insurance included, together with access to shared kitchen, copier/mail room, and restrooms. $500/month. For more details, contact Lynn Suter at firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com> or 540-434-9727.
Highland Retreat Summer Camp has positions available for both lifeguards and male counseling staff. Highland offers a Christ-centered environment where youth and young adults can explore their own gifts while serving others in meaningful ways. Please visit www.highlandretreat.org <http://www.highlandretreat.org> for additional information and online application.
Eastern Mennonite School is in the search process for School Counselor & Health Services Coordinator with LPC certification – Fulltime. This person will provide counseling support and oversight to K-9 services and coordinate resources required to provide general health and well-being services for the school. Successful candidates will share a passion for working with children and youth in a Christ-centered academic environment. Eastern Mennonite School offers a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience and is an equal opportunity employer. Licensed Professional Counselor preferred. Please express interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 540-236-6012.
Virginia Mennonite Missions Prayer News
In Podgorica, Montenegro, Vladimir & Mariana Cizmanski have returned to their church leadership roles after a leave from the ministry there. Steve & Laura Campbell relate to this congregation. Thank God for their commitment to this growing church; may all be encouraged and blessed.