- Join Mennonite Central Committee for storytelling and a light meal of traditional foods from Lesotho at Harrisonburg Mennonite Church (Picnic Pavilion) on Friday, June 13 at 6:30pm. We will hear stories from MCC Lesotho alumni Harlan and Claire DeBrun, and MCC partner MmeMadintle. To RSVP and for more information, please contact Luke Schrock-Hurst at 540-437-1201 or email@example.com
- Our Community Place is hosting Second Saturday Night Out on June 14! Support OCP while enjoying a delectable four-course meal! Come and enjoy a festive, restful atmosphere alongside some wonderful cuisine. This month's Guest Chef is XENIA, A Kabob Grille. $20 suggested donation, call 540.638.0329 <http://540.638.0329/> to make a reservation between 5pm and 8pm.
- Summer Institute for Spiritual Formation – Join us June 16-27, 2014 for the Summer Institute for Spiritual Formation at EMS. Take 1, 2, or 3 credit hours or audits in courses to deepen your own faith and teach you how to guide others. The Oasis option lets you dip in and out of classes and design your own mini-retreat experience. Open to all church leaders and growing Christians. www.emu.edu/seminary/courses/summer-institute/courses <http://www.emu.edu/seminary/courses/summer-institute/courses>
- Highland Retreat's Steak BBQ and summer staff commissioning service is next Saturday, June 21. The service begins at 1:30p.m.. At 3 p.m. the swimming pool and activity centers open: Zip Line (ages 11+), Sling shots (ages 7 and up), Nature Center Cornhole tournament, and more. To register for the Cornhole tournament or to get more information, visit www.highlandretreat.org <http://www.highlandretreat.org>. At 5 p.m. the steak BBQ begins and "Blue Mountain Sunrise" will perform live bluegrass music. Highland will provide steak, drink, and potatoes. Please bring a side salad or dessert to share, and donation to support the ministries of Highland Retreat.
- Anabaptist Renewal Circles invites you to the National Conference 2014, July 10-12 at Weaverland Mennonite Church, 210 Weaverland Valley Rd, East Earl, Pa. Aaron Kauffman, VMM president, and Skip Tobin, VMM USA Ministries Director, will be leading workshops at the event. Anabaptist Renewal Circles has a vision to mobilize the Mennonite and Anabaptist community to bear witness to the transforming grace of Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. Register by June 1 at www.anabaptistrenewal.org <http://www.anabaptistrenewal.org> for a special rate of $40/person
- Motorcycle for Missions 2014 invites bikers to join the ride to Conference Assembly in Charlottesville, July 23-24. Join the ride in Waynesboro, Roanoke, Greensboro or Raleigh. Enjoy scenic vistas through the byways of the southern Shenandoah Valley and Piedmont regions. Meet other riders who want to ride for a cause, and help raise funds for Virginia Mennonite Missions, which works around the world in development, education, peacebuilding and building faith communities. There will be a welcome in Charlottesville at Assembly. Tim Kennell, tour coordinator, is an avid motorcyclist and pastor of Powhatan Mennonite Church. We hope that your congregation will be represented on this fun ride! If you are not able to ride, please support financially the riders in your church who are participating. For more information, contact Tim Kennell at firstname.lastname@example.org or at cell # (804) 240-5657. Find out more and register at vmmissions.org/support/motorcycle-for-missions <http://vmmissions.org/support/motorcycle-for-missions>
- Registration is now open for Virginia Mennonite Conference Assembly 2014! Mark your calendar for July 24-26, and go to www.virginiaconference.org/assembly <http://www.virginiaconference.org/assembly> for complete details and online registration. Our worship, work, and reflection will be guided by Jesus' Great Commission, on the theme of Making Disciples As We Go!
- Save the date for "End-of-life training." Join a workshop to learn how to lead groups through important end-of-life discussions at Laurelville Mennonite Church Center, Mt. Pleasant, Pa., August 12-14. For more information, visit laurelville.org/programs/end-of-life-education/
Virginia Mennonite Missions Prayer News
Pray for the Mennonite Anabaptist Christian Churches of Ecuador (ICAME) that is in the process of being legally recognized by the Ecuadorian state as a formal entity. Remember David Shenk (VMM/MMN) and his intense work with refugees; pray for his future plans and for those who will continue the work.
Mennonite Church USA Prayer News
June 15 – Radical Hospitality Resource Guide – Coming soon: a six-week video curriculum focusing on immigration, the Bible and Christian hospitality. Watch our Mennonite Church USA Facebook page for information about when this FREE resource; available for Fall 2014 Sunday School curriculum.