- Motorcycle for Missions 2014 invites bikers to join the ride to Conference Assembly in Charlottesville, July 23-24. Join the ride in Waynesboro, Roanoke, Greensboro or Raleigh. Enjoy scenic vistas through the byways of the southern Shenandoah Valley and Piedmont regions. Meet other riders who want to ride for a cause, and help raise funds for Virginia Mennonite Missions, which works around the world in development, education, peacebuilding and building faith communities. There will be a welcome in Charlottesville at Assembly. Tim Kennell, tour coordinator, is an avid motorcyclist and pastor of Powhatan Mennonite Church. We hope that your congregation will be represented on this fun ride! If you are not able to ride, please support financially the riders in your church who are participating. For more information, contact Tim Kennell at email@example.com or at cell # (804) 240-5657. Find out more and register at <http://vmmissions.org/support/motorcycle-for-missions>
- Are you on the right financial path? Learn about financial planning at an informational seminar presented by Everence. Join us from 6 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, July 22, at The Gathering Place, 841 Mount Clinton Pike, Harrisonburg. We'll talk about what financial planning is, why it's important and how it can apply to adults of all ages. To reserve your spot, call (540) 437-7422 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Save the date for "End-of-life training." Join a workshop to learn how to lead groups through important end-of-life discussions at Laurelville Mennonite Church Center, Mt. Pleasant, Pa., August 12-14. For more information, visit laurelville.org/programs/end-of-life-education/
Blue Ridge Ministries is offering their annual leadership luncheon, Thursday, August 21 from 11:00 a.m to 1:30 p.m. Rev. Canon Stephen Cherry from Durham, England, author of Barefoot Disciple: Walking the Way of Passionate Humility, will engage in conversation on this topic. Contact email@example.com, <http://www.blueridgeministries.wordpress.com/> or 540-560-1605 for more information. Space is limited, so register early. This is a wonderful opportunity for an ecumenical dialogue and meeting others in ministry in the Shenandoah Valley.
- EMU, along with Together Ministries, is sponsoring a major Christian music event featuring the bands Sidewalk Prophets <http://www.sidewalkprophets.com/> , Royal Tailor <http://www.royaltailor.com/> , and 1 Girl Nation <http://www.1girlnation.com/> , in an event called "Back to School Bash" on Saturday, August 9. This is the fourth year for this event, designed to bring area youth together on campus for a fantastic FREE event. Things kick off at 3:00 pm on the front lawn with music from local groups, free food, games. The concert itself will be held in University Commons…doors open at 5:30 with the concert beginning at 6:00 pm. Visit the Back to School Bash website <http://b2sbva.com/> for more information, and brief clips from the bands that will be performing. Again, this is a free event and is a great opportunity to gather with others from near and far for a time of celebration and worship as the summer winds down and another school year looms. Bring your youth group, and encourage families to attend as well. See you there!
- The annual Virginia Volunteerism and Service Conference is being held September 11 – 12 at the DoubleTree by Hilton Richmond-Midlothian Hotel. In celebration of 2014 as the 20 year Anniversary of AmeriCorps, the annual AmeriCorps Launch events will be held during the conference on September 12 and will feature the simultaneous swearing-in of all AmeriCorps members nationwide! We anticipate having 500 statewide attendees including a 25-member international delegation being sponsored by the U.S. State Department. Attached is information about the conference. With a valid student Id, a discounted conference registration fee of $70 is being offered to students. To learn more about the Conference, visit http://www.vaservice.org/go/volunteer/2011_virginia_conference_on_volunteerism_and_community_service-1-1 <http://www.blacktie-america.com/fwlink/?fw=272566B7-B70B-1AAB-1450ED2B135E20C2> The other event is the "Day to Serve", a unique collaboration between the Governors of VA, MD, WV and the Mayor of DC and an informational brochure is attached. Governor and First Lady McAuliffe are actively supporting Day to Serve which runs from September 11 – 28. The idea is to encourage community organizations, colleges and universities, civic groups, municipalities to commit to designating a Day to Serve and coordinating community-wide food drives, neighborhood clean-up projects or any other type of service activity. In addition, the Day to Serve website will feature a service map to which local projects can be posted. You can learn more at their website: http://www.daytoserve.org/ <http://www.blacktie-america.com/fwlink/?fw=272566C7-BCE4-58EF-007EFE746B673C94> . If your organization is already planning service projects during the time period of September 11 – 28 or even a little beyond, please consider adding it to the DTS map. The goal is to have as many service projects as possible dotting the Virginia map.
- Love to ride in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley? Save the date for Saturday, September 20, and join the 17th annual Bike Shenandoah. Choose one of five rides for all ages and abilities, and support the work of seven local and regional agencies! Learn more and register at <http://www.bikeshenandoah.org/>.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for a full-time Web Designer and Analyst in the Marketing and Communications department. Responsibilities include oversees the delivery of EMU electronic messages through the university web site and analyzes results for constant improvement. This position attends to web optimization and usability concerns, and is a key connector to EMU's Information Systems department. The web designer continually seeks ways to make the EMU web site more friendly and useful. Experience with responsive web design, information architecture, graphic design, common web applications, usability, accessibility, and social media and new media. Bachelor's degree required. Submit application, resume and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com> . For more information visit our website at www.emu.edu/humanresources <http://www.emu.edu/humanresources> . Persons who bring diversity are encouraged to apply. EOE.
- MennoMedia seeks Part-time Administrative Assistant We're a book and curriculum publisher seeking a friendly, competent part-time administrative assistant for a wide variety of office support services. Tasks include clerical and financial tasks, volunteer management and assisting visitors. We need someone with good people skills and at least two years of experience with Word, Excel and databases, who is eager and willing to learn new tasks and software programs. This job has great growth potential for the right person. 20 hours per week, hours are somewhat flexible. Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for Lab Coordinator in the Department of Biology/Chemistry. Primary responsibilities of the lab manager are to oversee technical work in the science laboratories, primarily related to class-associated laboratory activities. Activities include setup and cleanup of class exercises, equipment maintenance, and keeping supplies well stocked, and other laboratory curricular needs. The laboratory manager recruits, trains and supervises work-study students. Previous experience in biology, biochemistry, and chemistry laboratories, including equipment operation, basic maintenance and preparation of regents desired. Previous safety knowledge and/or experience including knowledge and use of material safety data sheets and working with potentially hazardous materials ideal. Bachelor's degree in a field of science required. Position is ? time with benefits. Submit application, resume and contract information for three references to: email@example.com. For more information visit our website at www.emu.edu/humanresources <http://www.emu.edu/humanresources> . Persons who bring diversity are encouraged to apply. EOE.
- Everence Financial is seeking a loan and business development officer for the credit union in their Harrisonburg, Virginia, office. Responsible for developing and growing the membership, assets and loan portfolio of the Harrisonburg office; branch manager duties. Qualified applicants will have a bachelor's degree and at least one year of lending experience; excellent communication skills; strong analytical and financial skills. Fluency in Spanish is desired. For more information about the responsibilities and qualifications of this position, please visit our website, www.everence.com <http://www.everence.com> , and click on 'Careers.'
- MennoMedia (1251 Virginia Avenue in Harrisonburg) has office/retail space for rent with closets, internet, all utilities and access to rest rooms, kitchen and parking included in price. 175 sq ft office for $225/month (two available) 225 sq ft office for $240/month (two available) Potential small retail space with three adjoining offices also available: price negotiable. Call 540-574-4877 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Eastern Mennonite School has the following coaching openings open for the upcoming school year: Girls 7th Grade Volleyball; 7th Grade Girls Basketball; Girls Varsity Soccer; Boys JV Tennis. Please contact Dave Bechler at email@example.com or call at (540) 476-2637, if you have interest or know of persons interested.
Virginia Mennonite Missions Prayer Requests:
Pray for the VMM ministry team in Thailand. Remember Steve, Bethany, Adam, Jeanette and their children. Pray that they as a team would continue to form a good foundation of love and care, healthy communication and grace. Pray that they would model what they want to grow in their city.