Local Events and Opportunities
- Our Community Place needs your stuff! OCP is having a yard sale on Saturday, August 20th, from 7am-1pm to raise money to make fun and educational trips available to the OCP community. You can drop off items you would like to donate during our building business hours, which are Mon-Wed 9am-2pm, and Thurs 3pm-8pm. Thank you in advance! Contact Rianna at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-442-7727 if you have questions.
- The Sing Me High Music Festival, August 27, 2016, 2-9:30, celebrates music and faith in the Shenandoah Valley. We anticipate that this festival will become an annual tradition for people of all ages. This year's one-day event will feature eight music groups with Shenandoah Valley roots and ties, old-fashioned hymn singing, Mennonite and Brethren artisans, children’s activities, chicken and pork barbecue, food from A Bowl of Good, ice cream, and a campfire sing-a-long at the close of the event. The festival is jointly hosted by the Valley Brethren-Mennonite Heritage Center and The Walking Roots Band. The festival will be a family-friendly, alcohol-free event. Bring a blanket or your favorite camp chairs: limited folding chair seating will be available under the main tent. Visit www.singmehigh.com for more information and ticketing. [Ticket: Advance/At-the-Gate; Adult: $12/$15; Student (age 6-18): $6/$8; Children (5 & under): FREE. Buy tickets before Aug. 17 and take home a free commemorative festival picnic cup!] Be sure to check out the invitations to sponsors and volunteers, too. Since this is a new festival, we're looking for lots of help–consider signing up with your Sunday School class or small group for a fun afternoon of good work and good music (and a free ticket, t-shirt, and meal). The Sing Me High Music Festival takes place at the CrossRoads campus of the Valley Brethren Mennonite Heritage Center, located at 1921 Heritage Center Way, Garbers Church Rd., Harrisonburg. Parking is at Harrisonburg High School (handicapped parking at WSVA Radio Station), and a shuttle service will run to and from the festival grounds throughout the day. We invite you to join us at the Sing Me High Music Festival to listen, sing, laugh, eat, and play – all while you celebrate family, friends, and faith.
- Former students, faculty and staff of the Park School (1918-1967) are invited to a reunion at Park View Mennonite Church's fellowship hall, September 4, 4:00-7:00 pm. A meal will be catered by Macado's. Cost is $15. Learn more and register at parkschoolreunion1967.weebly.com or call Miriam at 540-478-5524.
- You are invited to a delicious Ethiopian fundraising meal hosted by NEW (Nurturing and Encouraging Women) at Lindale Mennonite Church from 5:30 –7:00 PM on Friday, September 9, 2016. With Ethiopian women as its focus, NEW supports efforts in evangelism, counseling, education, healthcare, poverty and hunger reduction and small business development. RSVP to Leanne Benner at (540) 432-9064 or email@example.com
- The Shenandoah Valley Mennonite Historians are sponsoring a local Old Order Mennonite Tour led by Phil Kniss, September 10, from 8:30 am to 2 pm. Contact Jim Hershberger for registration/information at (540) 833-8033 or (540) 908-8005 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join the MHI Friends Dinner “Making Disciples as We Go!” on September 16 to celebrate Mennonite Hispanic Initiative’s accomplishments in the last year and recognize and thank our many partners in mission. A delicious Latino meal will be served! Special Guest Ying Kai will speak. The event will be at 7 pm at Shady Oak (Weavers Mennonite Church), Harrisonburg, Va. Tables will be available for $100.00 (includes 8 people). Churches can RSVP and send up to 8 people representing the congregation. Also, individuals can RSVP and invite 7 more friends to participate. Finally, if you don’t have a party, you can RSVP and we will accommodate you with other people around a table. RSVP to 540-209-1450 or to email@example.com to reserve a table before Sep. 9.
- A T4T ‘Training for Trainers’ event will be held September 17-18 at Shady Oak (Weavers Mennonite Church), Harrisonburg. Learn the story behind the world’s fastest-growing church planting movement and how it can happen in your community with trainer Ying Kai. Cost is $60 per person (includes the T4T training, materials and Saturday lunch). Sponsored by Mennonite Hispanic Initiative and VMMissions. Learn more and register at: http://vmmissions.org/t4t-event-september-17-18/
- Make plans to ride in the 19th annual Bike Shenandoah ride on Saturday, September 17. Register online at bikeshenandoah.org. To gear up for this main event, a “bike to church” event is proposed for Sunday, August 28. Bike Shen Ride to Church Sunday seeks to create an awareness of our relationship with our physical body and the relationship we have with the Earth, bringing these oft neglected subjects of self-care and creation-care to the forefront.
- Save the date: The Missional Partnership (Eastern Mennonite University, Eastern Mennonite Seminary, Park View Mennonite Church, and Virginia Mennonite Conference) will host Scot McKnight, author of The Kingdom Conspiracy in the Harrisonburg area September 27-29. This event will include times of public worship and chapel services at EMU and Eastern Mennonite Seminary. More information will follow soon!
- Those working with upper middle school students to younger adults (ages 13-19) are invited to participate in “Yearning to Know and Be Known,” a Youth Workers’ Summit on October 7-8, 2016 with speaker Debra Hirsch. She is the author of Redeeming Sex: Naked Conversations about Sexuality and Spirituality. In conjunction with EMU Spiritual Life Week, Debra Hirsch will speak on Friday at an EMU Chapel Service and Eastern Mennonite School Chapel. On Saturday, she will keynote an 8:30 am to 2:30 pm event at Eastern Mennonite School, along with times of worship and various workshop opportunities. Sunday school teachers, residence hall advisors, instructors and teachers, youth pastors and leaders are extended a special invitation. An RSVP and more information will come soon for the Saturday event.
Volunteer and employment opportunities:
- Two native English-speaking teachers are needed in Korea to teach mainly English classes between preschool and high school ages in Christian schools, with other subjects possible. Requirements: teachers be college graduates, speak English natively, and sign and extendable one year contract. Benefits include air fare (round trip), a monthly payment of $850-900, 3 meals per day at the cafeteria, single room with a full bath, and health insurance covered. Send resume (photo, email address and phone number) and faith statement including “Why am I interested in Korea?” to firstname.lastname@example.org. A personal interview will be conducted after the documents are accepted by Dr. James Rhee, USA Director of BELL School. Contact Dr. James Rhee at 540-908-6339(cell) or email@example.com
- Gift & Thrift, Inc. (Harrisonburg, VA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of full-time general manager. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, providing oversight of three divisions (Artisan’s Hope, Booksavers, and A World of Good Thrift Shop), visioning for future growth and development, collaborating with division managers, and overseeing the financial and budget needs. The general manager reports to a board of directors whose vision is to support the work of Mennonite Central Committee. Qualifications: bachelor’s degree preferred, 3-5 years’ experience in the retail environment, supervision, as well as a commitment to the mission of serving others. Interested individuals should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Gift & Thrift, Attention: Personnel Committee, 731 Mt. Clinton Pike, Harrisonburg, VA 22802.
- Gift & Thrift, Inc. (Harrisonburg, VA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of full-time Thrift manager. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, managing daily thrift store operations, supervision of Thrift staff and volunteers, providing excellent customer service, and working in collaboration with other division managers to accomplish organizational goals. Qualifications: bachelor’s degree preferred, 3-5 years’ experience in the retail environment, supervision, as well as a commitment to serving others. Interested individuals should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com or mail to Gift & Thrift, Attention: General Manager, 731 Mt. Clinton Pike, Harrisonburg, VA 22802.
- MennoMedia, Inc. seeks a part-time Administrative Assistant. We’re a book and curriculum publisher seeking a friendly, competent part-time administrative assistant for a wide variety of office support services. The job includes clerical and financial tasks, volunteer management and assisting visitors. We need someone with good people skills and at least two years of experience with Word, Excel and databases, who is eager and willing to learn new tasks and software programs. This job has great growth potential for the right person. 20 hours per week, hours are somewhat flexible. Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for a full-time Program Associate for Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience (STAR) in the Center for Justice and Peacebuilding. The program associate provides logistical, administrative and communications support to the STAR team, applicants and participants and the STAR trainer/practitioner network. Event planning, materials and logistical preparation, communication and data processing for 12-15 STAR trainings and additional, shorter events each year form core tasks for this position. The position is responsible for tracking and processing participant and training information, STAR trainer/practitioner information, payments and contracts. Bachelor’s degree or comparable office or event management experience required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and experience with databases required. Submit application, resume and three references to: email@example.com. For more information visit our website at http://emu.edu/hr/openings/. EMU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution.EMU conducts criminal background investigations as part of the hiring process.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for a part-time Preschool Assistant Teacher for the Early Learning Center. The Preschool Assistant Teacher will assist the director/teacher in the general supervision and management of the school programs. Responsibilities include but not limited to classroom supervision and management when the teacher is not present, maintenance and organization of classroom environment, participation in daily classroom schedule and group time. High school diploma required. Understanding of early childhood education within a developmental framework necessary. Submit application, resume and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information visit our website at www.emu.edu/humanresources. EMU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. EMU conducts criminal background investigations as part of the hiring process.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for an Associate Director of Admissions in the Department of Admissions. Responsibilities include assisting the director with day to day operations of the admissions office, particularly day to day management of the admissions counselors and telecounselors, managing a small recruitment territory and assisting director with data analysis and establishing recruitment strategy. Associate director will fill in during Director’s absences and represent Eastern Mennonite University on and off campus. Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred. : Excellent communication skills-written and verbal, ability to make quick decisions and analyze and interpret data. Leadership and managerial skills necessary. Attention to detail is essential to the position. Ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects simultaneously and be goal oriented necessary. Some travel and evening and weekend work required. Submit application, resume and three references to: email@example.com. For more information visit our website at www.emu.edu/humanresources. EMU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. EMU conducts criminal background investigations as part of the hiring process.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for a Program Coordinator for the Interfaith Peace Camp for the Center of Interfaith Engagement. This position is responsible for Coordinate Interfaith Peace Camp (IPC) projects and activities at a local and national level. Work closely with and liaise between the Center for Interfaith Engagement, Interfaith Peace Camp planning committee, and Interfaith Peace Board. Position will provide leadership and administrative support for the IPC planning committee and maintain publicity. Position will also work closely with board to raise funds to support the sustainability of IPC and support planning, implementation, and follow-up of annual Interfaith Peace Camp program locally. AA degree required and BA degree desired; nonprofit leadership experience is a plus. Part-time, grant funded position. Submit letter of application, resume and the contact information for three references to: Human Resources, 1200 Park Road, Harrisonburg, VA 22802, firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information visit our website at www.emu.edu/humanresources. Eastern Mennonite University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. EMU conducts criminal background investigations as part of the hiring process.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for a Student Success Coordinator for the Women’s Peacebuilding Leadership Program (WPLP). The WPLP student success coordinator manages WPLP’s student support, curriculum design, and program monitoring and evaluation. Works closely with WPLP director to initiate data-driven changes to program design and to design new programming in response to grants. Oversees the success of WPLP students and ensures the integration and support of WPLP within CJP and EMU systems. Bachelors degree required. Fulltime, grant funded position. Submit letter of application, resume and the contact information for three references to: Human Resources, 1200 Park Road, Harrisonburg, VA 22802, email@example.com. For more information visit our website at www.emu.edu/humanresources. Eastern Mennonite University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution.EMU conducts criminal background investigations as part of the hiring process.
- Eastern Mennonite University seeks applicants for the position of an Undergraduate Office Assistant. The UG Office Assistant collaborates with the Administrative Assistant to keep the Undergraduate Education Department functioning smoothly and efficiently with assistance given to the graduate program as necessary. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Part-time, 10 hours per week. Submit application, resume, and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information visit our website at www.emu.edu/humanresources. Eastern Mennonite University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. EMU conducts criminal background investigations as part of the hiring process.
- The Valley Brethren-Mennonite Heritage Center (www.vbmhc.org) invites applications for the position of full-time Executive Director. The successful candidate should have expertise in program visioning, strategic planning, fundraising, marketing, administration, public relations, volunteer coordination, and interpreting the vision of the Center to the church and community. The Director should be committed to the heritage which Brethren and Mennonites share, especially in the Shenandoah Valley. Salary and benefits as determined by the Board of Directors. Send letter of application, resume, and three recommendations to J.D. Glick, Chair, Search committee, 14 Joseph Court, Bridgewater, VA 22812 (jdglick@Verizon.net). Position open until filled.
- Herald Press is seeking a Marketing and Sales Assistant. Qualified candidates will be creative, detail-oriented team player to assist with book sales, marketing and advertising. Requires marketing savvy and strong writing, organizational and financial management skills. Must be experienced in Excel and Word and willing to learn new software. Excellent growth potential for the right candidate. See complete job description at mennomedia.org, click on Job Openings. Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
- Next year EMU will welcome two Spanish Language Assistants through MCC’s International Volunteer Exchange Program (IVEP) and is looking for hosts. There is no “ideal” host – some are young families, some are middle-aged and some are retired. Hosts develop their own unique relationships with IVEP participants. This is a wonderful opportunity for families with children who are learning Spanish. We hope that the IVEP participant will become part of the family. IVEP is a year-long work and cultural exchange opportunity for young, Christian adults. Every year 60 participants come from more than 25 countries around the world to volunteer in the U.S. or Canada, where they live with a local person or family. EMU IVEPers arrive mid-August and leave for summer placements the first week of May. Contact Gretchen Maust at Gretchen.firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Virginia Mennonite Missions Prayer Request:
Pray for Seth and Theresa Crissman as they preach in churches who want to hear more about what God is doing at Kids Clubs. Ask that God will speak through them and multiply their vision.