- You are invited to a delicious Ethiopian fundraising meal hosted by NEW (Nurturing and Encouraging Women) at Lindale Mennonite Church from 5:30 –7:00 PM on Friday, September 12. With Ethiopian women as its focus, NEW supports efforts in evangelism, counseling, education, healthcare, poverty and hunger reduction and small business development. RSVP to Leanne Benner at (540) 432-9064 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Last chance to register for the VMC Middle School Retreat, September 20-21 at Smith Mountain Lake. Don't miss the energy and excitement of great worship, input sessions with Kent Kauffman (director of Highland Retreat), and loads of fun and friendship-building. Kent will share faith stories in sessions called "The Story of Your Life." Worship will be led by members of The Walking Roots Band. Middle school youth in grades 6-8 and adult sponsors are invited from all Virginia Mennonite Conference churches. Learn more and register no later than Sept. 15 at
- wp.me/P2AxnQ-ov <http://wp.me/P2AxnQ-ov>
- Everence members are invited to participate in the Everence Harrisonburg Week of Generosity, Sept. 22-27. If you’re a member, you can volunteer at your favorite charity during that week. When you serve for three hours or more, Everence will donate $50 to that charity. And we’ll give you a free Everence T-shirt to wear while you volunteer. Participation is limited to the first 60 registrants. Each charity can receive a maximum of $500. Visit everence.com/Harrisonburg or call (540) 437-7422 for an application or more information.
- Join Our Community Place for Beyond Night Out! on Monday, September 15, from 5 to 8 pm. Our Community Place (community center) is transformed into a fine-dining restaurant, with Beyond Restaurant cooking a four-course meal. The suggested donation is $20. Enjoy a wonderful meal and support your local community.
- Join local Herald Press author Shirley Showalter at VMRC's Strite Auditorium on September 18 at 3 pm for a one-year birthday celebration of the release of her memoir “Blush: A Mennonite Girl Meets a Glittering World”
- Love to ride in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley? Save the date for Saturday, September 20, and join the 17th annual Bike Shenandoah. Choose one of five rides for all ages and abilities, and support the work of seven local and regional agencies! Learn more and register at bikeshenandoah.org <http://www.bikeshenandoah.org/> .
- Cherith Fee Nordling will give four presentations in Harrisonburg on the theme "Being Human, Becoming Christian: an embodied reconciliation of heaven and earth," September 15-17. The four events are: a public presentation on Monday, Sept. 15, Park View Mennonite Church, 7:00 pm, a Pastors’ Breakfast:* Tuesday, Sept. 16, Fireplace Room at Park View Mennonite Church, 7:30 am (*RSVP to Sarah Showalter at email@example.com or (540) 434-9727 by Sept. 11 if you plan to attend.), a Seminary Chapel: Tuesday, Sept. 16, Eastern Mennonite Seminary, 11:00 am, and an EMU Undergraduate Chapel: Wednesday, Sept. 17, Lehman Auditorium, 10:00 am. Cherith Fee Nordling is Associate Professor of Theology at Northern Seminary in Lombard, IL.
- Looking for missional church resourcing with an Anabaptist perspective? Join us for the “Church and Post-Christian Culture” Conference, Sept. 19-20, in Carlisle, Pa., at Carlisle Brethren in Christ Church. Speakers include Anton Flores, Greg Boyd and Nelson Okanya. Jesus, community and mission are the broad themes for plenaries and breakouts. Mennonite Church USA is a partnering denomination. Contact Skip Tobin for details regarding travel and hotel details at firstname.lastname@example.org or (540) 434-9727 • (800) 707-5535. Learn more and register at missioalliance.org/event/church-after-christendom-christian-witness-in-the-way-of-jesus/ <http://www.missioalliance.org/event/church-after-christendom-christian-witness-in-the-way-of-jesus/>
- The Everence Harrisonburg office is sponsoring Everence Harrisonburg Week of Generosity from Sept. 22-27. Everence members are invited to volunteer at a charity of their choice during that week. If you volunteer for three hours or more, Everence will contribute $50 to the charity you served. (This offer will be limited to the first 60 volunteers.) Each charity will be eligible to receive up to $500. All you need to do to participate is complete an application and pick up a free Everence T-shirt from our Harrisonburg office at 841 Mount Clinton Pike. We'd like you to wear the T-shirt while you're volunteering, if appropriate. Let's pull together to help the community during the week of Sept. 22-27. Visit everence.com/harrisonburg or call us at (540) 437-7422 for more information.
- Rehoboth Jail & Prison Ministry invites you to the 27th annual Day of Jubilee, Saturday, Sept. 27, beginning around 11 am. at at Tim Miller’s house. Enjoy sharing times, prayers and praise, a carry-in meal, and games. Tim's home is located at 165 Quarry Hill Lane, Schuyler, VA 22969. If you need more information or directions, you can call (434) 831-2963 or cell (434) 962-2354 on the day of Jubilee. Any time before that day you can call Ron Baker (434) 831-2963. Please see the attached flyer-"Bulletin for 2014 Day of Jubilee.doc"
- The annual Harrisonburg churches CROP walk to raise funds for Church World Service’s program’s to combat hunger around the world will take place Sunday, September 28, at 2 pm, starting from Muhlenberg Lutheran Church in Harrisonburg. This is a great activity for a family, Sunday School class or small group. Even if you do not have persons to donate money for your walk it is a good way to educate people about hunger in the world and CWS’s programs to feed the hungry. Some of the money raised will go to local agencies such as People helping People and the Refugee Resettlement Program.
- The Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale will be October 3-4 at the Rockingham County Fairgrounds, Harrisonburg. The relief sales offers a little bit of everything—quilts, artwork, homemade food, antiques, crafts, music and activities for the whole family. We hope you’ll join us! Proceeds go to the work of Mennonite Central Committee. Keep collecting for Penny Power and consider matching your church’s total! Watch the new video from VMM on this year's Penny Power projects at vmmissions.org/support/penny-power/ <http://vmmissions.org/support/penny-power/> Learn more about the sale at vareliefsale.com <http://www.vareliefsale.com/> Please see the request for baked goods attachment (2014 Baked Goods flyer).
- Registration is now open for the 5th annual 5K for Relief that will be held at the Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale on October 4 at 8:30 am. Runners, joggers, walkers, strollers, and youth are all welcome to participate. Participants who register by Sept 26 will get a free T-shirt. Sign up now at runwalkjog.com/relief <http://runwalkjog.com/relief> .
- A four-session Marriage Maintenance class will be offered at Family Life Resource Center from 7-8:30 each Tuesday evening starting October 7. The class is offered on a freewill offering basis and will be led by Harvey Yoder (who just celebrated his 50th anniversary). a text, Lasting Marriage-The Owners' Manual, will be available for $10. Register at email@example.com or 434-8450.
- There will be a Gestalt Pastoral Care Retreat led by Tilda Norberg at Highland Retreat, October 16-18, 2014.Tilda's healing ministry was featured in the 2013 School for Leadership Training at Eastern Mennonite Seminary. See attached brochure(Open to Grace Retreat) for more information.
- The Walk for Our Community Place will be October 18 at 9 am. Walk options are a 10K or 10 blocks. This Walk is a way for the community to help Our Community Place in its mission to promote personal growth and community well-being in the Harrisonburg area.
With the help of volunteer tutors, Skyline Literacy in Harrisonburg serves adult learners throughout the central Shenandoah Valley to improve their literacy and language skills. Skyline Literacy will hold the following tutor trainings in September and October: Citizenship Tutor Training – Sept. 14, 1-5 pm at Emmanuel Episcopal Church
ESL Tutor Training – October 4, 9:30 – 1:30, at Harrisonburg Mennonite Church.
Please call 540-433-0505 <tel:540-433-0505> or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register!
Media for Living, publisher of Valley Living magazine, seeks to hire a sales representative. Do you like to build relationships? Do you value setting your own schedule? In addition to flexibility, we offer a career where the better you are at your job, the more you will get paid. As part of the sales team, you will sell print and online advertising and be responsible for developing advertising leads. Must be self-motivated with a desire to meet or exceed sales goals. Experience in publishing and sales a plus. Flexible schedule; set your own hours. For more information, visit valleyliving.org. Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Office for Rent:
OFFICE SUITE FOR RENT: A spacious two-office suite, partially furnished, with separate entrance, good parking, and good signage is available at 901 Parkwood Drive (office building of Virginia Mennonite Missions and Virginia Mennonite Conference). All utilities, taxes and most insurance included, together with access to shared kitchen, copier/mail room, and restrooms. $500/month. For more details, contact Lynn Suter at firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com> or 540-434-9727 <tel:540-434-9727> . See photos at vmmissions.org/2014/09/office-suite-for-rent/ <http://vmmissions.org/2014/09/office-suite-for-rent/>
VMM Prayer Request:
Pray for the churches in Bammental, Germany, as they continue to reach out to youth and explore networking relationships for church planting and ministry throughout the country.