- Women's Bible Study has started again and is each Wednesday morning at Park View Mennonite Church, in the fellowship hall. Join Pastors Barbara Moyer Lehman and Jennifer Davis Sensenig as they lead studies on Sharing Our Lives With Others and Ready or Not… Romans! The series will run through Dec. 17. Join us at 8:30 for coffee and 8:45 for teaching and conversation. Childcare will be provided each week. For more information, please call (540) 434-1604.
- The Everence Harrisonburg office is sponsoring Everence Harrisonburg Week of Generosity from Sept. 22-27. Everence members are invited to volunteer at a charity of their choice during that week. If you volunteer for three hours or more, Everence will contribute $50 to the charity you served. (This offer will be limited to the first 60 volunteers.) Each charity will be eligible to receive up to $500. All you need to do to participate is complete an application and pick up a free Everence T-shirt from our Harrisonburg office at 841 Mount Clinton Pike. We'd like you to wear the T-shirt while you're volunteering, if appropriate. Let's pull together to help the community during the week of Sept. 22-27. Visit everence.com/harrisonburg or call us at (540) 437-7422 for more information.
- Rehoboth Jail & Prison Ministry invites you to the 27th annual Day of Jubilee, Saturday, Sept. 27, beginning around 11 am. at at Tim Miller’s house. Enjoy sharing times, prayers and praise, a carry-in meal, and games. Tim's home is located at 165 Quarry Hill Lane, Schuyler, VA 22969. If you need more information or directions, you can call (434) 831-2963 or cell (434) 962-2354 on the day of Jubilee. Any time before that day you can call Ron Baker (434) 831-2963.
- The annual Harrisonburg churches CROP walk to raise funds for Church World Service’s program’s to combat hunger around the world will take place Sunday, September 28, at 2 pm, starting from Muhlenberg Lutheran Church in Harrisonburg. This is a great activity for a family, Sunday School class or small group. Even if you do not have persons to donate money for your walk it is a good way to educate people about hunger in the world and CWS’s programs to feed the hungry. Some of the money raised will go to local agencies such as People helping People and the Refugee Resettlement Program.
- The Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale will be October 3-4 at the Rockingham County Fairgrounds, Harrisonburg. The relief sales offers a little bit of everything—quilts, artwork, homemade food, antiques, crafts, music and activities for the whole family. We hope you’ll join us! Proceeds go to the work of Mennonite Central Committee. Keep collecting for Penny Power and consider matching your church’s total! Watch the new video from VMM on this year's Penny Power projects at vmmissions.org/support/penny-power/ <http://vmmissions.org/support/penny-power/> Learn more about the sale at vareliefsale.com <http://www.vareliefsale.com/>
- Registration is now open for the 5th annual 5K for Relief that will be held at the Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale on October 4 at 8:30 am. Runners, joggers, walkers, strollers, and youth are all welcome to participate. Participants who register by Sept 26 will get a free T-shirt. Sign up now at runwalkjog.com/relief <http://runwalkjog.com/relief>.
- A four-session Marriage Maintenance class will be offered at Family Life Resource Center from 7-8:30 each Tuesday evening starting October 7. The class is offered on a freewill offering basis and will be led by Harvey Yoder (who just celebrated his 50th anniversary). a text, Lasting Marriage-The Owners' Manual, will be available for $10. Register at firstname.lastname@example.org or 434-8450.
- The VMRC Foundation and the law firm of Wharton, Aldhizer & Weaver, PLC, are co-sponsoring a free seminar, Learn the top 10 mistakes in estate planning and how to avoid them, from 9 to 11 a.m., October 9, in Detwiler Auditorium, 1501 Virginia Ave., Harrisonburg. A light breakfast will be served beginning at 8:30 a.m. Speakers are Marshall Yoder and Matt Von Schuch, attorneys from Wharton, Aldhizer & Weaver. The seminar will include topics on estate planning, trusts, transfer of retirement accounts, and health care plans. Attendees will receive a packet of estate planning literature. To register, contact the VMRC Foundation office at (540) 437-4306 or e-mail Janice Rhodes at email@example.com
- VMRC Memory Care program looks at cognitive changes: Local neurologist Robert McMahon will present “What Happens When the Brain Fails” at 7 p.m., October 9, as part of VMRC’s Memory Care program. McMahon, will speak on the affects of cognitive impairment on personality, mood, language and daily function. The program will help families communicate with healthcare professionals and in caring for persons with dementia. The program is free and will be in VMRC’s Detwiler Auditorium, 1501 Virginia Ave., Harrisonburg.
- There will be a Gestalt Pastoral Care Retreat led by Tilda Norberg at Highland Retreat, October 16-18, 2014.Tilda's healing ministry was featured in the 2013 School for Leadership Training at Eastern Mennonite Seminary. See attached brochure(Open to Grace Retreat) for more information.
- The Walk for Our Community Place will be October 18 at 9 am. Walk options are a 10K or 10 blocks. This Walk is a way for the community to help Our Community Place in its mission to promote personal growth and community well-being in the Harrisonburg area.
- The women of Coffee, Croissants and Conversation would like to local women to an event at The Gathering Place on Saturday, October 25, from 10 to 11:30 am. Ann Graber Hershberger will speak on “Reflections on Women Serving Around the World”. Light breakfast provided (donation welcomed). This is the third of many inspiring quarterly gatherings to come. Please feel free to invite other interested women. RSVP by October 20, 2014, to 316-304-4077 <tel:316-304-4077> or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office Suite for Rent:
A spacious two-office suite, partially furnished, with separate entrance, good parking, and good signage is available at 901 Parkwood Drive (office building of Virginia Mennonite Missions and Virginia Mennonite Conference). All utilities, taxes and most insurance included, together with access to shared kitchen, copier/mail room, and restrooms. $500/month. For more details, contact Lynn Suter at email@example.com <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> or 540-434-9727 <tel:540-434-9727> . See photos at vmmissions.org/2014/09/office-suite-for-rent/ <http://vmmissions.org/2014/09/office-suite-for-rent/>
Virginia Mennonite Missions Prayer Request:
Remember the Campbell family as they return to their ministry in Montenegro. Pray for the growing Friday evening Bible study and the emerging ministry to children on Sundays.