Local Events & Opportunities
- Roberta Webb Child Care Center invites you to help celebrate 20 years in the community on May 30 at First Presbyterian Church. Dinner starts at 5:30 with music and a silent auction. Live auction with Sonny Henkel starts at 7pm.
- Ted Swartz’s newest play “Learning To Play”, is coming to Court Square Theater June 6 & 7 at 7:30pm. It’s a play about church, fatherhood, community, and our sexuality. And it’s an entertaining and enlightening piece about listening and love. Tickets available online at (www.valleyarts.org/court-square-theater/ <http://www.valleyarts.org/court-square-theater/> ) Advance price: $14/$12 seniors, students, groups 10+ At the door for $2 more. More information at: tedandcompany.com/events/ <http://tedandcompany.com/events/>
- Our Community Place is hosting Second Saturday Night Out on June 14! Support OCP while enjoying a delectable four-course meal! Come and enjoy a festive, restful atmosphere alongside some wonderful cuisine. This month’s Guest Chef is XENIA, A Kabob Grille. $20 suggested donation, call 540.638.0329 <http://540.638.0329/> to make a reservation between 5pm and 8pm.
- Summer Institute for Spiritual Formation – Join us June 16-27, 2014 for the Summer Institute for Spiritual Formation at EMS. Take 1, 2, or 3 credit hours or audits in courses to deepen your own faith and teach you how to guide others. The Oasis option lets you dip in and out of classes and design your own mini-retreat experience. Open to all church leaders and growing Christians. www.emu.edu/seminary/courses/summer-institute/courses <http://www.emu.edu/seminary/courses/summer-institute/courses>
- Anabaptist Renewal Circles invites you to the National Conference 2014, July 10-12 at Weaverland Mennonite Church, 210 Weaverland Valley Rd, East Earl, Pa. Aaron Kauffman, VMM president, and Skip Tobin, VMM USA Ministries Director, will be leading workshops at the event.Anabaptist Renewal Circles has a vision to mobilize the Mennonite and Anabaptist community to bear witness to the transforming grace of Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. Register by June 1 at www.anabaptistrenewal.org <http://www.anabaptistrenewal.org> for a special rate of $40/person
- Highland Retreat’s annual Steak BBQ and summer staff commissioning service will be held at Highland the afternoon and evening of Saturday, June 21. To reserve a free campsite or A-frame cottage (BBQ participants only) for the weekend, contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com> or (540) 705-0554. Visit www.highlandretreat.org <http://www.highlandretreat.org> for more details or to enter this year’s Cornhole Tournament.
- Motorcycle for Missions 2014 invites bikers to join the ride to Conference Assembly in Charlottesville, July 23-24. Join the ride in Waynesboro, Roanoke, Greensboro or Raleigh. Enjoy scenic vistas through the byways of the southern Shenandoah Valley and Piedmont regions. Meet other riders who want to ride for a cause, and help raise funds for Virginia Mennonite Missions, which works around the world in development, education, peacebuilding and building faith communities. There will be a welcome in Charlottesville at Assembly. Tim Kennell, tour coordinator, is an avid motorcyclist and pastor of Powhatan Mennonite Church. We hope that your congregation will be represented on this fun ride! If you are not able to ride, please support financially the riders in your church who are participating. For more information, contact Tim Kennell at firstname.lastname@example.org or at cell # (804) 240-5657. Find out more and register at vmmissions.org/support/motorcycle-for-missions <http://vmmissions.org/support/motorcycle-for-missions>
- Registration is now open for Virginia Mennonite Conference Assembly 2014! Mark your calendar for July 24-26, and go to www.virginiaconference.org/assembly <http://www.virginiaconference.org/assembly> for complete details and online registration. Our worship, work, and reflection will be guided by Jesus’ Great Commission, on the theme of Making Disciples As We Go! Save the date and plan now to attend!
- Save the date for End-of-life training. Join a workshop to learn how to lead groups through important end-of-life discussions at Laurelville Mennonite Church Center, Mt. Pleasant, Pa., August 12-14. For more information, visit laurelville.org/programs/end-of-life-education/
Virginia Mennonite Missions Prayer News
Please pray with us for God’s protection over all who live in Thailand. Pray that those with power at all levels, will humble themselves and serve the people; pray for compromise and resolution that all sides can own. Remember Mark, Sarah, Heidi and Hannah Schoenhals (VMM/EMM), Steve, Bethany, Anjali and Immanuel Horst (VMM/EMM), and Adam, Jeanette and Lucy Strode (VMM/MNN) as they minster in this time.
Mennonite Church USA Prayer News
June 1 – Send in your seminar ideas – The 2015 Mennonite Church USA convention will run from June 30-July 5, 2015, and we need your seminar and workshop ideas in order to make it extra-great. From June 1-August 15, 2014, submit your ideas online: http://convention.mennoniteusa.org/convention-411/seminars/