Celebrating 50 Years!
Sept. 16 to 18, 2022, Brethren Woods and Camp Retreat
You are welcome, whether you are new to CMC, or have been here for many years. Come – all ages – for food, fun, reflection, and fellowship. Come for part of a day or the whole weekend! Ready to join? Register here!
Celebrate, Maintain, Renew
Fifty years! There are fifty years of history, worship, discipling, outreach and fellowship of which we are a part. There is ongoing Christ-centered work in Harrisonburg, Rockingham County and the world of which we are a part. Throughout these past fifty years Community Mennonite Church has nurtured relationships within and beyond us to be a loving, vibrant and active part of the surrounding community; everything from modules to small groups and youth groups, from aiding the launch of Patchwork Pantry, local nonprofits, and Community Preschool. This 50th anniversary fall retreat will offer time to reflect on what has been, grieve what was lost or painful, celebrate the blessing of Community Mennonite Church today, and envision how we move forward in community together. As an ever-changing, migrating, and growing group, we welcome back former CMCers to be part of this celebration.
As we share stories, walk in the woods, worship and laugh together we hope we will together imagine how we will serve God throughout the next fifty years as a peace church where everyone is welcome!
Your help is needed at retreat! Click here to sign up for a volunteer spot.
- 5:30-7 pm — Registration, Pine Grove
- 6:45 pm — Gathering and Lawn Games
- 7-8:30 pm — Square Dance, Pine Grove, Larry Winegard, Caller Intergenerational – all ages welcome!
- Lawn games, snacks and drinks outside (bring games & lawn chairs!)
- 8:30-10 pm — Table games and conversation
- 7:30-9:30 am Breakfast, Retreat Center (Hot breakfast served 8-9 am) – Including big kettle donuts made fresh by Wayne Gehman and friends
- 9:45-10 am — Gathering, Pine Grove
- 10-11:30 am — Remembering and shaping our story. Each person has a unique story with CMC – join this interactive session of sharing individual and collective stories of CMC – we invite you to preview Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: The danger of a single story | TED Children’s activities, outside Pine Grove – Heather Harris, Coordinator1
- 12-1:00 pm — Lunch
- 1-3:30 pm Free time and group activities – hiking, games, Ultimate frisbee, biking, canoeing, coloring, jam session (bring instruments)
- 3:30-5 pm — Storytelling Circle – Stories from 50 years of being church together. Bring a story (3-4 minutes) or simply enjoy the collective remembering – facilitated by Carolyn Yoder and Brian Martin Burkholder. Children’s activities, outside Pine Grove – Heather Harris, Coordinator
- 5-6 pm — Dinner, Retreat Center – Including BBQ Chicken, prepared by the amazing Joe Yoder and friends
- 6-7 pm — Churchwide Game, Field above the pond
- 7-8:30 pm — CMC Team Trivia, Pine Grove – Hosted by Matt Ruth and Kara Miller
- 8:30pm — Snack
- 7:30-9:00 am — Breakfast, Retreat Center – Hot breakfast served 8-9 am
- 9-10 am — Cabin and campsite cleanup
- 10-11:30 am — Worship by the pond; Genesis 12:1-9, Go! – Pastoral Team
- 11:45-12:45pm — Lunch, Retreat Center
- 1-2:00 pm — Cleanup and departure
- No pets.
- No riding bikes after dark.
- Quiet hours are from 10 pm – 7 am.
- Babysitting for 0-5’s will be available during Saturday 10:00 am and 3:30 pm sessions in Mill Creek, next to the Retreat Center
- Children need supervision around the pond – no lifeguard on duty.
- Please respect nature – don’t leave trash.
2022 Retreat Committee: Jason Gerlach, Linda Martin Burkholder, Sher Waidelich, Andrea Wenger
Check-in is from 5:30-7:00 pm on Friday at Pine Grove. If you arrive later in the weekend, please stop by to pick up your nametag and confirm your registration.
Lodging options include tenting, camping in an RV, cabins for men only and for women only, family cabins, a youth cabin, or the comfort of your own home.
Meals will be catered by Brethren Woods and supplemented by traditional CMC retreat foods such as barbecued chicken, and homemade donuts. Please note dietary restrictions on your registration.
Register between August 7-31 on the CMC website. Assistance with completing the online registration will be available at a table in the fellowship hall Aug.14, 21, 28.
Retreat fees may be paid via the registration page on the website or in cash or by check, made payable to CMC with “Retreat” in the memo line. Please pay at the retreat table in the fellowship hall or in the church office. Retreat fees are $55 per person over age 4 for the weekend or $35 for a day, plus $15 for a cabin or $5 to camp. Fees are capped at $175 per household.
Scholarships are available if retreat fees are prohibitive; send your request to email@example.com. We want everyone to attend!
CMC’s Sunday worship will be held at Brethren Woods, beginning at 10 a.m.
What to bring
- sleeping bag/linens
- personal supplies
- walking shoes
- lawn chairs
- musical instruments
- insect repellant
- outdoor game equipment
- table games
- bicycle and helmet
Brethren Woods is located at the base of the Massanutten Mountain, about a 20-minute drive northeast of Harrisonburg, at 4896 Armentrout Path, Keezletown, Virginia.
From the South/Harrisonburg:
Take I-81 North to Exit 251 (Rt. 11 North). Follow Rt. 11 North for 2.85 miles. Turn Right onto Fellowship Road (Rt. 721) and follow for 1.25 miles. Turn left onto Indian Trail Road (Rt. 717) and follow for 0.4 miles. Turn Right onto Fridley Gap Road (Rt. 811) and follow for 3 miles. Bear Right onto Armentrout Path (Rt. 722) and follow for 1 mile. Brethren Woods is on the Left.
From the North/New Market:
Take I-81 South to Exit 257 (Mauzy). Follow Rt. 11 South for 2.2 miles. Turn Left onto Martz Road (Rt. 806) and follow for 3.5 miles to a stop sign. Turn Right onto Mountain Valley Road and follow for 1.8 miles. Turn Left onto Armentrout Path (Rt. 722) and follow for 1 mile. Brethren Woods is on the Left.