- Consider serving at Lezha Academic Center, which is in critical need of teachers this next school year and is seeking persons who will go for a 4-week, 8-week or semester-long segment to help staff the school this year. Virtually all subjects are needed. VMMissions works in partnership with LAC and has sent teachers there since its formation six years ago. (Term length and qualifications are flexible). Learn more about the school at http://www.albanianchristianschool.org/ and the assignment at http://vmmissions.org/service-opportunity/teacher/
- Former students, faculty and staff of the Park School (1918-1967) are invited to a reunion at Park View Mennonite Church's fellowship hall, September 4, 4:00-7:00 pm. A meal will be catered by Macado's. Cost is $15. Learn more and register at parkschoolreunion1967.weebly.com or call Miriam at 540-478-5524. RSVPs should be made in advance by August 21; you may pay with cash or check at the event.
- You are invited to a delicious Ethiopian fundraising meal hosted by NEW (Nurturing and Encouraging Women) at Lindale Mennonite Church from 5:30 –7:00 PM on Friday, September 9. With Ethiopian women as its focus, NEW supports efforts in evangelism, counseling, education, healthcare, poverty and hunger reduction and small business development. RSVP to Leanne Benner at (540) 432-9064 or email@example.com
- The Shenandoah Valley Mennonite Historians are sponsoring a local Old Order Mennonite Tour led by Phil Kniss, September 10, from 8:30 am to 2 pm. Contact Jim Hershberger for registration/information at (540) 833-8033 or (540) 908-8005 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join the MHI Friends Dinner "Making Disciples as We Go!" on September 16 to celebrate Mennonite Hispanic Initiative's accomplishments in the last year and recognize and thank our many partners in mission. A delicious Latino meal will be served! Special Guest Ying Kai will speak. The event will be at 7 pm at Shady Oak (Weavers Mennonite Church), Harrisonburg, Va. Tables will be available for $100.00 (includes 8 people). Churches can RSVP and send up to 8 people representing the congregation. Also, individuals can RSVP and invite 7 more friends to participate. Finally, if you don't have a party, you can RSVP and we will accommodate you with other people around a table. RSVP to 540-209-1450 or to email@example.com to reserve a table before Sep. 9.
- Blue Mountain Sunrise will be performing at Pleasant View, Inc.'s Community Pork BBQ on Saturday, September 17, from 4 to 6pm (BBQ will be moved indoors at the same location if there is inclement weather). Come join us for inspirational music, delicious BBQ prepared by Maynard Weaver and his team, and lots of fun. All proceeds go to help support individuals with intellectual disabilities served in Pleasant View, Inc.'s day and residential programs.
- Did you ride your bike to church today? Calling all bicycle enthusiasts, small and tall! You are invited to participate in the 19th annual Bike Shenandoah ride on Saturday, September 17 at Eastern Mennonite School in Harrisonburg, VA. This family-friendly event includes rides of 5, 15, 30, 62, or 100 miles in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. All proceeds benefit Virginia Mennonite Missions, MennoMedia, Mennonite Central Committee, NewBridges Immigrant Resource Center, Our Community Place, and Roberta Webb Childcare Center. Individuals and congregations can also participate by sponsoring riders. Register online at bikeshenandoah.org or the day of the ride!
- Tending the Church's Song: An evening of listening and singing – As a new committee gathers to begin work on the next Mennonite song collection, all are invited to come and reflect on the gift of congregational music. Come for a time of worship and sharing of hopes and dreams for a new Anabaptist song collection Wednesday, September 21, 7 p.m., at Park View Mennonite Church. Hosted by the Mennonite Song Collection Project, Bradley Kauffman, Director.
- The Missional Partnership (Eastern Mennonite University, Eastern Mennonite Seminary, Park View Mennonite Church, Virginia Mennonite Conference and Virginia Mennonite Missions) will host Scot McKnight, author of The Kingdom Conspiracy in the Harrisonburg area September 27-29. Entitled Kingdom Vision as a Way of Life, he will lead EMU and EMS chapel, a church and community event entitled "A Fellowship of Differents and the Challenge of Slavery," and a Pastor's Breakfast on "Mission from a Network of Friends." This event will include times of public worship and chapel services at EMU and Eastern Mennonite Seminary. Learn more at http://virginiaconference.org/news/kingdom-vision-as-a-way-of-life-with-scot-mcknight/
- Don't miss the Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale's Skeet Shoot Event.This year's Sporting Clays (Skeet Shoot) fundraiser welcomes individuals and teams of four. Some people say it like "Noisy Golf!" The event runs continuously at the Flying Rabbit (¾-mile south of Rockingham County Fairgrounds), Thursday-Saturday, Sept. 29 – Oct. 1. You may drop in anytime from 10 am to dusk. You'll have a blast! Contact James Åkerson at (540) 421‐4577 to sign up or with any questions. A poster with more information is attached.
- Musaic: A Mosaic of Music will be held at 3pm, Sunday, October 2 at the Park View Mennonite Church (1600 College Ave, Harrisonburg). Stay in Harrisonburg after the relief sale and treat yourself to the musical talents of Paulo Steinerg (piano), Virginia Bethune (piano, organ, harp), Edward Gant (cello), John Fast (organ), Park View Mennonite Choir, and Pleasant View Worship Team. Free-will Offering will be taken in lieu of tickets and reception to celebrate Pleasant View, Inc.'s 45 years of service to people with intellectual disabilities will follow. All proceeds from the concert and the "To God Be the Glory" CD sales will go to Pleasant View, Inc.
- Those working with upper middle school students to younger adults (ages 13-19) are invited to participate in "Yearning to Know and Be Known," a Youth Workers' Summit on October 7-8, 2016 with speaker Debra Hirsch. She is the author of Redeeming Sex: Naked Conversations about Sexuality and Spirituality. In conjunction with an EMU faithful sexuality series, Debra Hirsch will speak on Friday at an EMU Chapel service and Eastern Mennonite School Chapel. On Saturday, she will keynote an 8:30 am event at Eastern Mennonite School, along with times of worship and various workshop opportunities. Sunday school teachers, residence hall advisors, instructors and teachers, youth pastors and leaders are extended a special invitation. Learn more and register at http://virginiaconference.org/news/2016-youth-workers-summit/
- A Cappella Voices Celebration will be Friday, October 14, at 8 p.m. in Eastern Mennonite University's Lehman Auditorium. Groups who will be singing include Shekinah, Good Company, Bellaccord, and Emulate. General admission is $10.
- Join EMU alumni, parents, students, and friends at the Eastern Mennonite University Fall Festival on Saturday, October 15 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. All are welcome to this featured Homecoming event! There will be food trucks, live music, bounce houses, face painting, yard games, athletic events, etc. Bring your blankets and lawn chairs and enjoy an afternoon of fun on the EMU front lawn.
- Race and Religion in America offered online and at a discount. What is the connection between race and religion in the US? Explore this question in an online course with Dr. David Evans at Eastern Mennonite Seminary. Because this is such an important topic for today, EMS is offering a $450 discount for credit or audit of this course (some restrictions apply). Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Church and Politics course offered at Eastern Mennonite Seminary. Explore the connection between the church and politics through the course "Between Babel & Beast: The US & Politics in the Theo-political Perspective" at Eastern Mennonite Seminary. This course is intended to take a fresh look at politics, in the midst of the 2016 presidential season. Email email@example.com for more details.
Have you ever considered an international short-term mission assignment? Lezha Academic Center http://www.albanianchristianschool.org/ is in critical need of teachers this next school year and is seeking persons who will go for a 4-week, 8-week or semester-long segment to help staff the school this year. Virtually all subjects are needed. VMMissions works in partnership with LAC and has sent teachers there since its formation six years ago: http://vmmissions.org/service-opportunity/teacher/ (term length and qualifications are flexible). I would love to tell you more about it if you have any interest! And if you know of others who might consider serving, please let me know… or ask them to contact me, Martin Rhodes or Janet Blosser
- Two native English-speaking teachers are needed in Korea to teach mainly English classes between preschool and high school ages in Christian schools, with other subjects possible. Requirements: teachers be college graduates, speak English natively, and sign and extendable one year contract. Benefits include air fare (round trip), a monthly payment of $850-900, 3 meals per day at the cafeteria, single room with a full bath, and health insurance covered. Send resume (photo, email address and phone number) and faith statement including "Why am I interested in Korea?" to firstname.lastname@example.org. A personal interview will be conducted after the documents are accepted by Dr. James Rhee, USA Director of BELL School. Contact Dr. James Rhee at 540-908-6339(cell) or email@example.com
- Gift & Thrift, Inc. (Harrisonburg, VA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of full-time general manager. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, providing oversight of three divisions (Artisan's Hope, Booksavers, and A World of Good Thrift Shop), visioning for future growth and development, collaborating with division managers, and overseeing the financial and budget needs. The general manager reports to a board of directors whose vision is to support the work of Mennonite Central Committee. Qualifications: bachelor's degree preferred, 3-5 years' experience in the retail environment, supervision, as well as a commitment to the mission of serving others. Interested individuals should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Gift & Thrift, Attention: Personnel Committee, 731 Mt. Clinton Pike, Harrisonburg, VA 22802.
- Gift & Thrift, Inc. (Harrisonburg, VA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of full-time Thrift manager. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, managing daily thrift store operations, supervision of Thrift staff and volunteers, providing excellent customer service, and working in collaboration with other division managers to accomplish organizational goals. Qualifications: bachelor's degree preferred, 3-5 years' experience in the retail environment, supervision, as well as a commitment to serving others. Interested individuals should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com or mail to Gift & Thrift, Attention: General Manager, 731 Mt. Clinton Pike, Harrisonburg, VA 22802.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for a full-time Program Associate for Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience (STAR) in the Center for Justice and Peacebuilding. The program associate provides logistical, administrative and communications support to the STAR team, applicants and participants and the STAR trainer/practitioner network. Event planning, materials and logistical preparation, communication and data processing for 12-15 STAR trainings and additional, shorter events each year form core tasks for this position. The position is responsible for tracking and processing participant and training information, STAR trainer/practitioner information, payments and contracts. Bachelor's degree or comparable office or event management experience required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and experience with databases required. Submit application, resume and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information visit our website at http://emu.edu/hr/openings/. EMU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution.EMU conducts criminal background investigations as part of the hiring process.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for a part-time Preschool Assistant Teacher for the Early Learning Center. The Preschool Assistant Teacher will assist the director/teacher in the general supervision and management of the school programs. Responsibilities include but not limited to classroom supervision and management when the teacher is not present, maintenance and organization of classroom environment, participation in daily classroom schedule and group time. High school diploma required. Understanding of early childhood education within a developmental framework necessary. Submit application, resume and three references to: email@example.com. For more information visit our website at emu.edu/humanresources. EMU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. EMU conducts criminal background investigations as part of the hiring process.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for an Associate Director of Admissions in the Department of Admissions. Responsibilities include assisting the director with day to day operations of the admissions office, particularly day to day management of the admissions counselors and telecounselors, managing a small recruitment territory and assisting director with data analysis and establishing recruitment strategy. Associate director will fill in during Director's absences and represent Eastern Mennonite University on and off campus. Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred. : Excellent communication skills-written and verbal, ability to make quick decisions and analyze and interpret data. Leadership and managerial skills necessary. Attention to detail is essential to the position. Ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects simultaneously and be goal oriented necessary. Some travel and evening and weekend work required. Submit application, resume and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information visit our website at emu.edu/humanresources. EMU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. EMU conducts criminal background investigations as part of the hiring process.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for a Program Coordinator for the Interfaith Peace Camp for the Center of Interfaith Engagement. This position is responsible for Coordinate Interfaith Peace Camp (IPC) projects and activities at a local and national level. Work closely with and liaise between the Center for Interfaith Engagement, Interfaith Peace Camp planning committee, and Interfaith Peace Board. Position will provide leadership and administrative support for the IPC planning committee and maintain publicity. Position will also work closely with board to raise funds to support the sustainability of IPC and support planning, implementation, and follow-up of annual Interfaith Peace Camp program locally. AA degree required and BA degree desired; nonprofit leadership experience is a plus. Part-time, grant funded position. Submit letter of application, resume and the contact information for three references to: Human Resources, 1200 Park Road, Harrisonburg, VA 22802, email@example.com. For more information visit our website at emu.edu/humanresources. Eastern Mennonite University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. EMU conducts criminal background investigations as part of the hiring process.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for a Student Success Coordinator for the Women's Peacebuilding Leadership Program (WPLP). The WPLP student success coordinator manages WPLP's student support, curriculum design, and program monitoring and evaluation. Works closely with WPLP director to initiate data-driven changes to program design and to design new programming in response to grants. Oversees the success of WPLP students and ensures the integration and support of WPLP within CJP and EMU systems. Bachelors degree required. Fulltime, grant funded position. Submit letter of application, resume and the contact information for three references to: Human Resources, 1200 Park Road, Harrisonburg, VA 22802, firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information visit our website at emu.edu/humanresources. Eastern Mennonite University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution.EMU conducts criminal background investigations as part of the hiring process.
- Eastern Mennonite University seeks applicants for the position of an Undergraduate Office Assistant. The UG Office Assistant collaborates with the Administrative Assistant to keep the Undergraduate Education Department functioning smoothly and efficiently with assistance given to the graduate program as necessary. Bachelor's degree preferred. Part-time, 10 hours per week. Submit application, resume, and three references to: email@example.com. For more information visit our website at emu.edu/humanresources. Eastern Mennonite University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. EMU conducts criminal background investigations as part of the hiring process.
- The Valley Brethren-Mennonite Heritage Center (vbmhc.org) invites applications for the position of full-time Executive Director. The successful candidate should have expertise in program visioning, strategic planning, fundraising, marketing, administration, public relations, volunteer coordination, and interpreting the vision of the Center to the church and community. The Director should be committed to the heritage which Brethren and Mennonites share, especially in the Shenandoah Valley. Salary and benefits as determined by the Board of Directors. Send letter of application, resume, and three recommendations to J.D. Glick, Chair, Search committee, 14 Joseph Court, Bridgewater, VA 22812 (jdglick@Verizon.net). Position open until filled.
- Herald Press is seeking a Marketing and Sales Assistant. Qualified candidates will be creative, detail-oriented team player to assist with book sales, marketing and advertising. Requires marketing savvy and strong writing, organizational and financial management skills. Must be experienced in Excel and Word and willing to learn new software. Excellent growth potential for the right candidate. See complete job description at mennomedia.org, click on Job Openings. Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.