Moving Allowance

CMC provides an allowance to assist the new full-time pastoral staff with a portion of the costs of relocating to the Harrisonburg area to accept employment with CMC. This policy is intended to aid in recruiting and relocating candidates for pastoral positions. This is to be documented in the formal employment offer.

Eligible costs for the allowance include the reasonable costs of moving household goods and personal effects from the former residence to the new residence, and the amounts paid for travel (transportation and lodging) from the old home to the new home. Where transportation involves the use of your personal vehicle, mileage is allowed at the rate specified for moving by the IRS. Costs of packing and packing materials, loading, transportation, and unloading of household goods and personal effects are eligible for the allowance. All other costs including unpacking, house hunting trips, and temporary living costs are not eligible expenses.

The maximum amount of the allowance will be equal to 1/24 of the person's base annual salary. Moving expenses need to be adequately accounted for on an expense report (receipts) and submitted for reimbursement within 60 days after the expense was paid or incurred.

Expense Reports—Instructions

The CMC moving expense reimbursement allowance is described in the CMC Moving Allowance document. The allowance is not intended to cover all costs of relocation. Following is a guide of what is reimbursable by CMC.

Costs reimbursable by CMC:

  • Moving company costs to pack, load, transport, and unload household goods and personal effects.
  • Van rental costs (including fuel) to transport household goods and personal effects.
  • Boxes and packing materials.
  • Mileage (or gas) costs (at IRS moving allowance rate) paid to third party to transport goods.
  • Highway tolls for rental van.
  • Mileage on personal vehicles or actual expenses such as gas and oil.
  • Lodging en-route.
  • Tolls for personal vehicles.

Costs not reimbursable and not tax-deductible

  • Meal expenses
  • Pre-move house-hunting expenses
  • Storage charges except those incurred in transit and for foreign moves
  • Temporary living expenses

Signatures–Expense reports must be signed by the staff person completing the expense report, and must be approved by human resources.


October 2008, TRB, Administrative Commission